• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i have no money how do i pay support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleon421

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

i was just found guilty of willful non-payment for the second time this year. i can't work, and i just applied for disability. my ex keeps dragging me into court for child support that i cannot pay! on top of that i can't even see my kids. i can't see my oldest because there is an order of protection, but i have visitation with my youngest supervised by my mother. i haven't seen my youngest in months becuase her mother keeps badgering me for money. i keep telling her and the judge i can't work, but they keep adding interest and penalties. this system is seriously geared to screwing the father. if i don't pay her soon ill go to jail. how do i convince the court that i can't pay my support?

tuffbrk

When was support originally ordered?

What type of documentation have you brought into court? Doctor's reports, medical transcripts, your disability attorney's filings? What proof do you have that you are totally physically disabled?

Without any proof whatsoever, it will be difficult to get the courts to listen to your "story." Presumably you quit your job when you took "ill?" You've given no facts whatsoever for anyone to really help you out.

As you are not working and not looking for work you should just go to jail and pay it off with your time. What else do you have to do with your time?

napoleon421

the support order dates from oct. 2010 and is based on a job i had a year before that that paid $8 hour. the last time i went to court i wasn't given a chance to present my medical documentation. i've been diagnosed with depression and bi-polar disorder. I have documents from my counselor stating that I am mentally disabled and cannot work. my disability lawyer says i have a good chance at being approved, but it could take a few months.

my ex is just trying to be vindictive and get me thrown in jail. she doesn't need the money. she remarried and her husband makes plenty of money. she doesn't even work, just stays home with the kids all day.

Silverplum

the support order dates from oct. 2010 and is based on a job i had a year before that that paid $8 hour. the last time i went to court i wasn't given a chance to present my medical documentation. i've been diagnosed with depression and bi-polar disorder. I have documents from my counselor stating that I am mentally disabled and cannot work. my disability lawyer says i have a good chance at being approved, but it could take a few months.
Then, according to law, you owe the support as ordered until it is changed by a new court order. That'll be a few months, according to your disability attorney.

napoleon421 said:
my ex is just trying to be vindictive and get me thrown in jail. she doesn't need the money. she remarried and her husband makes plenty of money. she doesn't even work, just stays home with the kids all day.
Doesn't mean you aren't court-ordered to help take care of your children.

Doesn't mean her husband is suddenly responsible for your children.

Proserpina

Your ex wants child support and that's vindictive?

Um, no.

And really - her husband has no obligation to support YOUR kids.

Just Blue

Why do you think a legal stranger is responsible for you portion of the support of YOUR child?

napoleon421

she doesn't need the money, and she knows i can't pay, so yeah that's vindictive. he should be responsible, he knew we had kids and he still married her. therefore he assumes responsibility.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
she doesn't need the money, and she knows i can't pay, so yeah that's vindictive. he should be responsible, he knew we had kids and he still married her. therefore he assumes responsibility.
Then why don't you see if he's interested in adopting the children, since you think he should be financially responsible for them? :cool:

Dude, you planted those seeds and now it's your responsibility to water them. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just Blue

she doesn't need the money, and she knows i can't pay, so yeah that's vindictive.
No. It is not "vindictive" to require both parents to support their child. Stepfather has chosen to provide Mothers portion. He is not legally obligated to provide yours.

napoleon421

look, im just asking for advise on how to keep myself out of jail. I CANT WORK therefore I CANT PAY.

If i wanted snarky comments i'd talk to my ex.

Just Blue

look, im just asking for advise on how to keep myself out of jail. I CANT WORK therefore I CANT PAY.

If i wanted snarky comments i'd talk to my ex.
You were given adviCe. Pay the court ordered support or deal with the results of not doing so.

napoleon421

You were given adviCe. Pay the court ordered support or deal with the results of not doing so.
but. i. dont. have. any. money!

I sleep on my friend's couch. i don't have a place to live, and i cannot work. how am i supposed to come up with $32/wk child support when i have to find food for myself?

i just asked a simple question, and all i got was smart-ass comments all siding with my ex. you don't even know her. she brainwashes the kids. tells them im not allowed at their house because i say mean things to her. she's crazy.

napoleon421

Then why don't you see if he's interested in adopting the children, since you think he should be financially responsible for them? :cool:
my ex said that too. she said she wouldn't be able to take me to court for support if i just signed away my rights. i will never sign away rights. those are my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">