• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I live in Mass. If My child drops out of college, is my support obligation over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdmark414

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I live in Mass, so do my son and his mother, a couple years ago she filed for a modification of our order, saying that I would be obligated to pay through college(age 23). I just found out my son has decided not to continue with college after finishing his 1st year and has chosen to enter the military. Is my support obligation over??

ecmst12

What does your order say about when support ends? Word for word, without names. Yes, you need to go get it and read it.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I live in Mass, so do my son and his mother, a couple years ago she filed for a modification of our order, saying that I would be obligated to pay through college(age 23). I just found out my son has decided not to continue with college after finishing his 1st year and has chosen to enter the military. Is my support obligation over??
I believe that child would be legally emancipated at the point they entered the military. I'm unaware of any court that's going to require you to continue paying CS for an adult child in the armed forces.

CSO286

I believe that child would be legally emancipated at the point they entered the military. I'm unaware of any court that's going to require you to continue paying CS for an adult child in the armed forces.
Most states would consider entering the military to be an emancipating event, however, we really do need to hear what the order reads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">