• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I look bad but i'm not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

endofeye

What is the name of your state? new york

I had a child at a young age of 16 and i'm now 27 and the girl I had my boy with had broken up. I left NY in 1999 to start a new life with a new family and was married and had two more children. During this time my wife took care of all the finances including or i thought the child support owed to my first girl friend. Five years later we were divorced and I lost my father to a serious illness and I returned to NY to find out that I was 1400 in debt with the child collection unit. I missed a court date that I wasn't aware about and they threw me in jail on a thousand dollar bail. I've been having a hard time getting my life back on track since my divorce and my father passing away less then a year ago. They are expecting me to pay 1500 dollars or so in less then two weeks. I don't have a vehicle stuggling and behind on my rent.

My question is will they look at this? I have two jobs.. Will they really send me to jail for the 6 months?

Any suggestions or opinions welcomed.. Thanks for the forum.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's impossible to say what they'll do, but you can most likely set up a payment plan. Your excuses aren't likely to do you much good - it was YOUR responsibility to make sure your support was paid, not your wife's.

rexgto

I have found that working with NY state is a lot easier than working with California. Talk to the case worker.....let them know what is going on.....work out a payment plan and they'll work with you. As long as you show the effort like I did....they will fight for you. I have never stopped making some sort of a payment, even though it has been very minimal for quite sometime, they have worked with me and now are going to see what they can do to help me with the California side of things....So don't be afraid of working with the case worker assigned to your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">