• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i was told I am the father of a child, that is 4 years old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pipewerks

What is the name of your state? California

A woman contacted my Father in July of this year and says she gave birth to my son, who is now 3 1/2 years old. She also told my father she wants nothing to do with or from me, that she only called for a medical history. She has made no further contact and has changed the phone # and e-mail address that she gave to my father. I doubt the child is mine. She did however (from what she told my dad) give the baby my last name. I am concerned as I already have two children and do not want 10 years to go by and be hit with a mega child support obligation. My question is: Can she get me (if I am the father) for retroactive child support 10 years from now? What if anything can I do now --All I have is a name, I dont know where she lives, where the child was born or anything?

rmet4nzkx

You can wait until you are contacted.
If she applies for welfare, they can go back to the date they provided support.
If she petitions for paternity, they can go back to the date of filing for child support.
You have a name, you can do some research to locate her and possibly the child and file for paternity etc.
Even though she changed her phone number you can possible get her address andor the city/ part of city.

pipewerks

I sincerely appreciate all of the advice. As stated earlier, all I have is a name and no state of residence.
Although, I believe her to be in New York. So, there is no statute of limitations on back child support?

What is the timeframe typically that it takes if she goes on welfare before I am contacted?

she has all of my info--(stole my passport years ago) but yet no contact.

is there a reverse parent search? ( I know that the state will help find a non-custodial parent but will they do the reverse?)

SueBee1062

Wow. That's scary. I think it's horrible when women show up out of the woodwork 12 years after their baby is born, and request child support and order paternity tests, etc., and order the father to pay 12 years retro support.

I think it's criminal that they have waited that long not to inform the father that he is the father. I'm speaking about women who KNOW who the father is and do nothing for years and years.

Unspeakable.

Good luck.

king sol

SueBee?

What is terrible, is that men are sticking their "wankie" into women, in an effort to "get their."

Babies come from SEX! Daddy knew he had SEX! Dad needs to keep track of those he had SEX with, to ensure wheter or not he made a baby!

Grow up, Men know where babies come from!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">