• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Want To Make Him Pay For College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruthiemae90

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I'm a freshman in high school and I've known my entire life that I have a deadbeat dad, or as I call him "the Sperm Donor". He left when he found out that my mom was pregnant and refused to pay for anything. When this happened, my mother terminated his rights, and in the clause it stated that he didn't have to pay. I'm just a freshman and I am already thinking about college. I'm very smart, but I don't think I can get a good enough scholarship to pay for what my dream school would cost because out-of-state costs a lot more. Is there any way that I can make him either pay for the tuition, like half or all to make up for his absence in my childhood and early adolesence, or pay make-up support to make up for not paying any? I don't fully understand the law but I do understand that he hasn't been there, and whether he cares or not, he should make up for the irreparable damage he has done to me in my early years. Any replys would help.
And as to the total replys I currently have, I don't know where you live but here, if your rights are terminated you still have to pay because biologically you are still the person's parent. I wanted to know whether or not if the clause stated that he didnt have to that if there was a loophole or am I completely stuck. And I'm not incompetent so I do understand that its not rocket science and afterall I'm only a freshman in high school. I don't understand the law completely and if I did I wouldn't need to post this.

Last edited:

enjay

If his parental rights were terminated, so were his parental obligations. You can't have it both ways.

Continue to do well in school, and you will be fine. Get a combination of scholarships and grants and live a good life.

djohnson

If his parental rights have been terminated, then he is not legally your father and you have no rights at all to sue him for any kind of support along those lines. Your mother gave that right up.

BelizeBreeze

If you're smart and you don't think you'll have enough scholarship money then there is another alternative.......it ain't rocket science dear. :rolleyes:

nextwife

Sweetie, even many of us who had wonderful, involved parents had to pay for our own college costs. I did, so did my husband. Work hard, only take as many courses as you can handle while still working some, and apply for every grant and scholarship there is.

BelizeBreeze

nextwife said:
Sweetie, even many of us who had wonderful, involved parents had to pay for our own college costs. I did, so did my husband. Work hard, only take as many courses as you can handle while still working some, and apply for every grant and scholarship there is.
Like I said, it ain't rocket science :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">