• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my ex to stop paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annajm

What is the name of your state? Texas
Ex lives in: Florida

My name is Anna. I am a mother of 2 girls, 5 and 2 and a baby boy who is now 1. I am married to a wonderful man who has taken care of me and my daughters for their whole lives and we now have a son together. The father of my 2 girls is paying child support because there is an order for it. He lives in another state. I have a great job and so does my husband. We take care of all the bills just fine and my kids have everything that they need. On the other hand, my ex, the father of my 2 girls is not doing well. He has another family ( a baby boy ) that he is unable to care for . His fiancee cannot work because no one can take care of their son and they can barely make ends meet. Their son is on Medicaid and they are on government assistance. He lost his job and they even took child support out of his unemployment check. I do not want to do this. ME and my girls are very well taken care of without the child support money and I am taking it away from a family that needs it a lot more than i do. Me and him and his fiancee are in great terms and we have a good relationship. He cannot afford to travel to see the girls. They can send money without the order whenever they can and they are doing better. I want to STOP the child support payments. I do not need them, Me and my husband make enough for our family and it is unfair to them. How can I put a stop to it and be able to sleep at night?? I cant live in peace knowing my family is doing well and his family (my daughters baby brother) is not. I hope their is a way and it would only be the fair thing to do. He cant even afford to travel and see the girls. He has never seen my second daughter and he has not seen the first one since she was 2. He owes a lot of money in debt and they only have one car that keeps breaking down and they cant afford to fix it or get another one. PLEASE I NEED TO STOP THE CHILD SUPPORT. I NEED SOMEONE TO TELL ME HOW CAN I DO THIS!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas
Ex lives in: Florida

My name is Anna. I am a mother of 2 girls, 5 and 2 and a baby boy who is now 1. I am married to a wonderful man who has taken care of me and my daughters for their whole lives and we now have a son together. The father of my 2 girls is paying child support because there is an order for it. He lives in another state. I have a great job and so does my husband. We take care of all the bills just fine and my kids have everything that they need. On the other hand, my ex, the father of my 2 girls is not doing well. He has another family ( a baby boy ) that he is unable to care for . His fiancee cannot work because no one can take care of their son and they can barely make ends meet. Their son is on Medicaid and they are on government assistance. He lost his job and they even took child support out of his unemployment check. I do not want to do this. ME and my girls are very well taken care of without the child support money and I am taking it away from a family that needs it a lot more than i do. Me and him and his fiancee are in great terms and we have a good relationship. He cannot afford to travel to see the girls. They can send money without the order whenever they can and they are doing better. I want to STOP the child support payments. I do not need them, Me and my husband make enough for our family and it is unfair to them. How can I put a stop to it and be able to sleep at night?? I cant live in peace knowing my family is doing well and his family (my daughters baby brother) is not. I hope their is a way and it would only be the fair thing to do. He cant even afford to travel and see the girls. He has never seen my second daughter and he has not seen the first one since she was 2. He owes a lot of money in debt and they only have one car that keeps breaking down and they cant afford to fix it or get another one. PLEASE I NEED TO STOP THE CHILD SUPPORT. I NEED SOMEONE TO TELL ME HOW CAN I DO THIS!!
Rather than stopping the child support, it would simpler just to return it to him each time that you receive it. You can't know what the future will bring for you and your current husband. When dad gets back on his feet, he should contribute to the support of the girls.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Rather than stopping the child support, it would simpler just to return it to him each time that you receive it. You can't know what the future will bring for you and your current husband. When dad gets back on his feet, he should contribute to the support of the girls.
I disagree. She can stop the support and then repetition at a later time if her circumstances change. It would not be simpler to just return it becuase he would not be getting back what he paid and would be slighted more money. Have you contacted CSEA OP?

LdiJ

I disagree. She can stop the support and then repetition at a later time if her circumstances change. It would not be simpler to just return it becuase he would not be getting back what he paid and would be slighted more money. Have you contacted CSEA OP?
Huh? Why would he not be getting back what he paid? I am a little confused why you would encourage someone to stop child support? While I think its great that she wants to help him out, its alot easier for her to give him back the child support, than to have to re-petition, and perhaps wait months, if circumstances change for her family.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Huh? Why would he not be getting back what he paid? I am a little confused why you would encourage someone to stop child support? While I think its great that she wants to help him out, its alot easier for her to give him back the child support, than to have to re-petition, and perhaps wait months, if circumstances change for her family.
He would not be getting back what he paid in because most states charge a surcharge. Ohio for instance charges a 2% poundage fee. And I am encouraging her stopping child support because she WANTS to. I am not telling her she should. I am telling her she can in response to her question on whether or not she can because she wants to. The answer to her inquiry is that she can stop it by contacting child support and asking that it be stopped.

CourtClerk

I would agree with OG. So long as there is no money owed to the state for government aid on behalf of the children, she can stop support whenever she wants, and if the need arises again, she can repetition, so long as the children are still minors.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Word of warning from someone who had child support reserved, there has to be a change in circumstances to restart it; it also can be a certain length of time - somewheres in the 2-4 year range where it gets revisted.

annajm

I have living without child support for my girls entire life. He started paying about 6 months ago and it just came in as a bonus to us. We use to take the girls out to parks movies etc. I cant take away their rent money to go to the movies!! I will not change my mind as I am hopefully going to do a step parent adoption in the future since my husband would like to adopt my 2 girls but it is way too expensive. we are waiting for our tax returns to do use the money for it. Until then they need my help! Who do i contact? The Texas attorney general, the child support office, or the courts>?? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Just Blue

I have living without child support for my girls entire life. He started paying about 6 months ago and it just came in as a bonus to us. We use to take the girls out to parks movies etc. I cant take away their rent money to go to the movies!! I will not change my mind as I am hopefully going to do a step parent adoption in the future since my husband would like to adopt my 2 girls but it is way too expensive. we are waiting for our tax returns to do use the money for it. Until then they need my help! Who do i contact? The Texas attorney general, the child support office, or the courts>?? Thanks in advance for your answers!
As long as you realize that if YOU give up the support you can't use failure to support as a way to involuntary terminate Dads parental rights.

mb94

Once you mentioned a step parent adoption it threw a red flag. Seriously. No matter how uninvolved Dad has been in the past or how poor he is now, you can't terminate his rights unless 1) he agrees to it 2) he is currently found to have abandoned the kids. If he is paying support then he hasn't abandoned them. I'm concerned that you are going to tell him he doesn't have to pay support, and then will use the fact that he doesn't pay support against him when he contests the step parent adoption. Which would be a very bad idea for everyone involved.

Seriously, if your kids love their stepdad and he loves them, then you don't need a piece of paper to confirm it. A stepparent adoption doesn't make people care more about each other, but it does mean your child's biological father (and his family, including the baby half-brother) will become legal stranger to them. If you are really worried about your daughter's bio Dad and half-sibling you wouldn't be considering terminating their rights.

annajm

no i would not do a step parent adoption if even one person was opposed. My ex has never seen the kids. He saw my 5 year old when she was 1 for the last time. Its not about money. I am doing it so all my kids can grow up with the same last name and to help out my ex family. they all agree and i am forgivin all support even arreages. It will be an open adoption they will still be able to see the girls and they will be able to speak and write to them. I want my girls to know their real daddy. I am just trying to take away the child support RIGHT NOW because lord knows when we will be able to do the adoption or if we will be able to and we need to help them now. They are doing really bad financially and it bothers me to see them like that since I have been through something similar.

moburkes

My VERY FIRST thought when I started reading the post was that mom eventually wants to do a step parent adoption, and would use this against the father.

moburkes

no i would not do a step parent adoption if even one person was opposed. My ex has never seen the kids. He saw my 5 year old when she was 1 for the last time. Its not about money. I am doing it so all my kids can grow up with the same last name and to help out my ex family. they all agree and i am forgivin all support even arreages. It will be an open adoption they will still be able to see the girls and they will be able to speak and write to them. I want my girls to know their real daddy. I am just trying to take away the child support RIGHT NOW because lord knows when we will be able to do the adoption or if we will be able to and we need to help them now. They are doing really bad financially and it bothers me to see them like that since I have been through something similar.
This "same last name" rant is getting tired. When you have kids with different people, they're going to have the same last name. And, currently, if I understand correctly, they DO have the same last name as their baby brother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">