• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Want my Life Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpMrMallard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
One year ago a woman came to me claiming that I am the father of her three year old son. Me and my fiance discussed it and against her advice I decided that the DNA test could wait and that we would keep the child on the weekends to get to know him. So the childs mother and I agreed that she would not seek money and I get to my son on the weekends. The childs mother however treated me like I was the childs babysitter and not his father, so when I told her that I would no longer be getting the child on the weekends until I recieved a DNA test she flipped and she is now suing me for child support. I really need some legal advice in this matter. I have no money and I am full-time student at a local college. The mother makes more money than me and has also hired legal representation. I have no way to get my self out of this situation some please help.

Antigone*

One year ago a woman came to me claiming that I am the father of her three year old son. Me and my fiance discussed it and against her advice I decided that the DNA test could wait and that we would keep the child on the weekends to get to know him. So the childs mother and I agreed that she would not seek money and I get to my son on the weekends. The childs mother however treated me like I was the childs babysitter and not his father, so when I told her that I would no longer be getting the child on the weekends until I recieved a DNA test she flipped and she is now suing me for child support. I really need some legal advice in this matter. I have no money and I am full-time student at a local college. The mother makes more money than me and has also hired legal representation. I have no way to get my self out of this situation some please help.
Insist on the DNA test. If it comes back that you are the child's father, get yourself ready to pay support by getting a job.

It is too late to "look for a way out." The time to think of these kinds of things is before you sleep with the girl.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you think you shouldn't support the child (assuming the child is yours)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You really have no choice but take teh DNA test. If you're not Dad, then you can move on along. If you are? You will be expected to support your child.

In the future? Try listening to your fiancee - you could have resolved this situation one way or another much sooner. As well as not traumatizing a child who now has to figure out why you've stopped seeing him. Well done. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HelpMrMallard

Look I don't need your snide remarks or the I told you so. I need legal advice So if you don't have nothing positive to say than leave the situation alone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you think you shouldn't support the child (assuming the child is yours)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Look I don't need your snide remarks or the I told you so. I need legal advice So if you don't have nothing positive to say than leave the situation alone.
It's not a snide remark to tell you that you have traumatized a child. Or that your fiancee is smarter than you are.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I have no way to get my self out of this situation some please help.
Legally, this is a very simple issue. You are responsible for the children you create. That's basically it. Once you are legally declared to be this child's father, you will be responsible for contributing your share of his financial support. Children need food, clothing, shelter, and medical care. And this is (presumably) your child.

Until you are obliged by a court order you have no legal obligation, but it sounds like that's just a matter of time.

Best case scenario for you is that a DNA test will indicate you are not the father, at which point you're completely off the hook. Do not let her threats to sue you for support scare you away from getting that test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">