• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I won the lottery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justmom30

What is the name of your state?ohio

About 18 months ago I won close to 4 million dollars in the lottery. I have not spent even close to 1/4 of it. I did things like new car, paid my house off, updated furniture, etc. I have the money in accounts and other places that is making easy (very easy) to live off the interest alone. I live in a small town.

My daughters father has never seen her. She is now 11 years old. He has always paid child support though. For about the last 16 months I've been writing him checks for the exact amount he sends me each month. He has cashed every one of them without ever asking why I sent them. (He has no idea I won the lotto) I've kept my job, just went to 15 hours a week so my daughter doesn't have to be in daycare.

I have the checks that he cashed, and can prove where all my money is, and where its staying. I know that bio dad wouldn't have an objection to terminating his rights. Would a judge consider it, since "dad" has never seen her and I have proven responsible with the money that I have and that it is an amount that will take care of her until 18? And of course college.

BL

You're a lotto winner and need free advice ?

Why would you want to terminate his rights ?

justmom30

well forgive me, I've been looking at this site for awhile, and some people seem to have great advice on questions, so thought I'd ask.

As far as why do I want to terminate his rights? He referres to my child as the "piece of crap, money sucking little bitch" (as recently as 1 year ago) and he's never laid eyes on her once. I've only spoken to bio dad probably 6 times since she's been born. I know, I know. How could I have went to bed with someone like that? And now I'm complaining right? No. Just thought I'd ask the question to people who knew more than I did on the subject.

BL

For about the last 16 months I've been writing him checks for the exact amount he sends me each month.
So why are you returning his child support payments , if he's that nasty ? and why are you communicating with him at all ?

ENASNI

Can I guess?

I am guessing because Support=contact...
So if she can prove.. no contact... because he is cashing the checks,
therefore she will be able to terminate his rights? and finally be free of him?

justmom30

because I don't need them now to support my daughter. When I did need it, I took it.

I only spoke with him those few times when the checks were late. Money was tight before this. As far as the last time he said this, I saw him when I was out with some of my girlfriends. Like I said small town.

LdiJ

justmom30 said:
because I don't need them now to support my daughter. When I did need it, I took it.

I only spoke with him those few times when the checks were late. Money was tight before this. As far as the last time he said this, I saw him when I was out with some of my girlfriends. Like I said small town.
Hon...get yourself a consult with an attorney. You can certainly afford it.

haiku

ENASNI said:
I am guessing because Support=contact...
So if she can prove.. no contact... because he is cashing the checks,
therefore she will be able to terminate his rights? and finally be free of him?
No, because she is cashing his child support check before she writes him a new one. So to the court he was fulfilling his obligation to the child.

this story has way to many holes to fill........

ENASNI

Yeah

haiku said:
No, because she is cashing his child support check before she writes him a new one. So to the court he was fulfilling his obligation to the child.

this story has way to many holes to fill........
Yeah I get your point... I was using faulty logic...

OP
Git Lawyer... as my favorite judge is used to saying.

And send my daughter to college... pleeeaaassee :eek:

Gracie3787

justmom30 said:
What is the name of your state?ohio

About 18 months ago I won close to 4 million dollars in the lottery. I have not spent even close to 1/4 of it. I did things like new car, paid my house off, updated furniture, etc. I have the money in accounts and other places that is making easy (very easy) to live off the interest alone. I live in a small town.

My daughters father has never seen her. She is now 11 years old. He has always paid child support though. For about the last 16 months I've been writing him checks for the exact amount he sends me each month. He has cashed every one of them without ever asking why I sent them. (He has no idea I won the lotto) I've kept my job, just went to 15 hours a week so my daughter doesn't have to be in daycare.

I have the checks that he cashed, and can prove where all my money is, and where its staying. I know that bio dad wouldn't have an objection to terminating his rights. Would a judge consider it, since "dad" has never seen her and I have proven responsible with the money that I have and that it is an amount that will take care of her until 18? And of course college.
Maybe I am a little strange, but I don't really understand what you are really concerned about.

Are you concerned that Bio Dad will learn of your winnings and suddenly want to be part of his daughter's life?
If so, then trying to terminate his rights, and even sending his CS back will definately make him curious and he'll find out about your money- And then you'll have all kinds of problems. Is the end result worth the risk?

If he does begin to try to know his daughter, for your daughter's sake make sure that you go to court to have visitation established. Even tho he may be a jerk, your daughter does have the right to get to know her father.

I agree with the other posters- you can afford an attorney and you should get the best one money can buy if you are willing to take the risk. That is my "legal" advice.
My "personal" advice is to let sleeping dogs lie, and wait for "Dad" to make the first move.

Congratulations on your winnings.
Gracie :)

Birdi

Justmom~ The money the bio father sends is for the daughter. Yes, why send it back to him? You should open a savings account in your daughter's name, for her use upon emancipation or college. Or hold it here until advised what to do by your attorney or the courts.

I agree with Birdi and Gracie - invest the money for your daughter, put it away in a trust......something for her later in life. I know she will be well taken care of due to your winnings, but you NEVER know what could happen and that child support could be a good foundation.

They're right - if you start working on terminating his rights - next thing you know he's filing for custody and trying to get child support from you! Keep his checks, deposit them into a separate account in your child's name, and let it go.

Congrats on winning! :D

jacknjill

newlywed03 said:
I agree with Birdi and Gracie - invest the money for your daughter, put it away in a trust......something for her later in life. I know she will be well taken care of due to your winnings, but you NEVER know what could happen and that child support could be a good foundation.

They're right - if you start working on terminating his rights - next thing you know he's filing for custody and trying to get child support from you! Keep his checks, deposit them into a separate account in your child's name, and let it go.

Congrats on winning! :D
Birdi, Gracie and newlywed03 are on top of this. It's the girl's money. Save it for her. My X was giving me money every month for my son, I worked and was able to support myself and my son, without the extra dough. Every penny he gave me went straight into a college fund.... He graduates this June...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">