• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if court order for CS is for 2 yrs, can the paying parent then just stop paying CS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollajj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington
mine and ex husbands CS order in the court was for 2 yrs at a certain amount. well, that 2 yr period was just reached in November. does that mean that he no longer has to pay anything until we get a new court order?
thank you

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington
mine and ex husbands CS order in the court was for 2 yrs at a certain amount. well, that 2 yr period was just reached in November. does that mean that he no longer has to pay anything until we get a new court order?
thank you
That would depend upon the exact wording of the order. Please post it, word-for-word, minus names.

hollajj

"the non-custodial parent is required to pay $***.** per month for 2 yrs beginning November 2009." it then goes on to state the arrears owed. it was sent to DCS here and was being garnished by them...thanks

CSO286

"the non-custodial parent is required to pay $***.** per month for 2 yrs beginning November 2009." it then goes on to state the arrears owed. it was sent to DCS here and was being garnished by them...thanks
How old was the child as of Nov 2011?

Silverplum

It sounds to ME like the order is completed now.

Wonder why it was written in that manner? Is the child now 18?

hollajj

it was only written that way because thats what we agreed to..i didnt have an attorney. and its for 3 children ages 10, 12, and 15 currently..thank you

hollajj

so, do i need to get a whole new order through the courts? thank you and is it something i can do myself?

hollajj

thank you---9when i agreed to 2 yrs of support, i thought i was agreeing that amount for 2 yrs , not that I only wanted support for 2 yrs..)

mistoffolees

You're quite welcome. :)

It's a slam-dunk for you -- just fill out the paperwork and relax.
Yes, it should be easy.

BTW, you'll have no problem doing it yourself. They'll help you at DSHS. If you were trying to do it through the courts, you might benefit from an attorney, but it shouldn't be necessary if you follow SP's source.

LdiJ

Yes, it should be easy.

BTW, you'll have no problem doing it yourself. They'll help you at DSHS. If you were trying to do it through the courts, you might benefit from an attorney, but it shouldn't be necessary if you follow SP's source.
The only concern I have on this thread is that we only got one sentence from the order. If the other parent had arrearages, and that sentenced was more addressing the arrearages than anything else, the result might be a little different.

Would the CP still be able to back and ask the court for a new CS order? The children involved are not close to aging out, and I thought the courts frowned upon the idea of permanently removing an child support obligation, and allow them to be modified as needed.

mistoffolees

Would the CP still be able to back and ask the court for a new CS order? The children involved are not close to aging out, and I thought the courts frowned upon the idea of permanently removing an child support obligation, and allow them to be modified as needed.
Yes. That's what SP suggested. Even if LD is right and the order covered arrears, if there is no order for child support in place today, then either CP or NCP could ask for a new CS order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">