• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL Family Expense Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

millertime721

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I want to know if day camp/care falls under Family Expenses in the Illinois Family Expense Act.

I am divorced. In my Divorce Agreement, my spouse is responsible for all day care costs. She put them in day care/camp but incurred debt that has since been forgiven in her personal bankruptcy with her new husband.

The facility is now claiming against me. I did not sign anything. Do these expenses qualify under the act? I thought it was just medical and education related.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I want to know if day camp/care falls under Family Expenses in the Illinois Family Expense Act.

I am divorced. In my Divorce Agreement, my spouse is responsible for all day care costs. She put them in day care/camp but incurred debt that has since been forgiven in her personal bankruptcy with her new husband.

The facility is now claiming against me. I did not sign anything. Do these expenses qualify under the act? I thought it was just medical and education related.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I don't see how the daycare could go after you.

Here's the Act you mentioned, and it only has to do with married persons:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2102&ChapterID=59

millertime721

The act also deals with ex-spouses. (2) No creditor, who has a claim against a spouse or former spouse for an expense incurred by that spouse or former spouse which is not a family expense, shall maintain an action against the other spouse or former spouse for that expense

Seem like my only recourse is if daycamp does not constitute "family expenses."

Silverplum

The act also deals with ex-spouses. (2) No creditor, who has a claim against a spouse or former spouse for an expense incurred by that spouse or former spouse which is not a family expense, shall maintain an action against the other spouse or former spouse for that expense

Seem like my only recourse is if daycamp does not constitute "family expenses."
I STILL don't see how the daycare could go after YOU.

You should wait for someone less logical. :cool: :D

millertime721

Well, they are going after me since ex filed bankruptcy. And like most issues with law, it's cheaper to pay what you DON'T owe than to hire an attorney, win and pay him/her what you DO owe.

If only I can prove to him that this fee doesn't qualify under the Act in which he says it does......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">