• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm in CA, child is Mexican

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

engineer35

I'm in California, divorced after a month of marriage, and my 1 year-old child was born in Mexico and resides there too. Could California, or the US, require me to pay child support?

rmet4nzkx

engineer35 said:
I'm in California, divorced after a month of marriage, and my 1 year-old child was born in Mexico and resides there too. Could California, or the US, require me to pay child support?
Was there a child support order in your divorce? WHat about custody and visitation? Was mom an undocumented worker and deported with your child?

Caveman

Who the hell cares about the law. You are a Californian Engineener with a great future ahead of you. You got crazy and went [URL="http://www.relaxspa.net/caveman.jpg"]Caveman[/URL] On a well deserved vacation to Mexico. Got stupid drunk and married a local. Knocked her up and changed your mind. Why should it change your life? So what if the child starves??

Sheesh, I think I just lost my appetite.

engineer35

More details

In the California divorce, I didn't have an address or phone number for her in Mexico, so I had to do a divorce notification by publication in a local newspaper. I wasn't sure at the time if the child was mine, so in the divorce I claimed there were no children. I'm not interested in sharing custody nor visitation. She was and still is a Mexican citizen, and had never worked in the US (neither legally, nor illegally). We were married in Mexico. She was not deported, but left of her own decision.

As for the Neaderthal mentality out there, I met her while she was an engineer at a maquiladora. She married an abusive Mexican, and over the past 7 or 8 years I helped her and her parents emotionally and financially, and even bought a "safety house" in Mexico for her to escape to. The "safety house" is in her parents name, and they have greatly appreciated my help over the years. Finally, the opportunity came where she could be with me, and I took the chance. For the month we were together, she was very mean to me, and suddenly left one day.

The reason why I'm interested in whether California will force me to pay child support, is that I'm considering to save the "safety house" for her and decrease my monthly support. But I'm afraid that one day California might say, "Hey, you're only paying her a little bit!" and the parents might deny that I had any involvement in buying the "safety house", and maybe California will force me to pay lots more. I don't know how strongly I need to push the parents to sell the house, or if I can just let that one go, and recoup my losses by reducing my payments. Any legal advice would be great. As for how to not be involved with a devious woman and live a morally upright way, that advice is obvious.

MrsK

Seems to me if she lives in Mexico and is a mexican citizen...the US is going to stay out of it.

fairisfair

This site is US law only, no one can give you advice on Mexico Law. The fact that you were unsure of the child's parentage and claimed no children, makes you guilty of fraud, if in fact the child is yours. But, that must be that morally upright, not devious kind of life you were talking about huh?? And I am also sure that appreciation is probably not the word that her family uses when they are talking about you. If you bought the house for her parents, then what is it you are saving?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Mexico will set the amount of support, if any. Then she will register the judgement with the U.S. courts in California which will instruct you to pay or be held in contempt.

Pretty simple huh?

rmet4nzkx

Well you did several things wrong, did you advise your CA divorce attorney when you were doing the divorce by publication that in fact you knew her location and you had marital assets ? Whether or not you believed the child is yours, under CA law, any child born during the course or within 300 days of the marriage is considered a child of the marriage and you the legal father. There is a 2 year period of time in which to dis/establish paternity, either from the time the child was born or when you learned of it's existance and the possibility that you were not the father, otherwise you could be stuck with child support, which includes in it's calculations your income and the amount of parenting time you have. So if you do not have a DNA test and you are proven not to be the father you can be made to pay child support for this child until it is 18 yo under CA DCSS regulations. I suggest you consult a family law attorney pronto.

ceara19

engineer35 said:
I'm considering to save the "safety house" for her and decrease my monthly support. But I'm afraid that one day California might say, "Hey, you're only paying her a little bit!" and the parents might deny that I had any involvement in buying the "safety house", and maybe California will force me to pay lots more. I don't know how strongly I need to push the parents to sell the house, or if I can just let that one go, and recoup my losses by reducing my payments. Any legal advice would be great. As for how to not be involved with a devious woman and live a morally upright way, that advice is obvious.
It doesn't matter if her parents admit your involvement in the purchase of the "safe house" or not. That is a home that YOU purchased with YOUR money and put in the PARENT'S names. It has nothing to do with the mother of your child. As a matter of fact, if you try to "push" the parents into selling the house (which you have no legal basis to do), one could easily argue that you were attempting to hide a considerable asset in order to avoid paying a higher amount of child support.

Caveman

Hey hey HO HO

It does not matter. This all a recreation of the movie starring[URL="http://xhant04.szm.sk/s_park/celeb/hayek1.jpg"]This dang woman[/URL] (who by the way is sweet and nice and smarter that the average 20th century but I really kinda liked it.. It was darling and it made me cry.. Gee I miss crying.. Where is my brother.. Oh yeah.. I think he went off with the waitress at the last rest stop we went too. I miss my .. sister in law.. she made sandwiches.

She had to do a divorce in a prior age from my brother is why I knew her But you are getin good advice from the guru who knows everything I see. I have my briefcase buried in ICE.. SHe of course has hers buried in the internet under the name rmet 1234xydpdq... so I am not sure ... who to trust.

Not me for sure... at least I am honest.
I saw a shooting star today though... :D

If I did not make sense then the injections the scientists gave me are not taking and I missed my sandwich this afternoon...
Where is my ham and cheese and pickle Mr. Young??? I want some ICE!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">