• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm having a baby, Can my husband's child support be reduced once our baby is born??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steviensuzy

What is the name of your state? California

My husband has three kids from a previous marriage. He pays child support monthly and doen not make good money. I on the other hand make a great salary. Can he get his child support reduced since he will have another obligation? just curious in cali.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

steviensuzy said:
What is the name of your state? California

My husband has three kids from a previous marriage. He pays child support monthly and doen not make good money. I on the other hand make a great salary. Can he get his child support reduced since he will have another obligation? just curious in cali.

My response:

Simple answer: No.

However, he can get a better job, or you can pay. But his kids SHALL NOT suffer because of his failure to use a rubber.

IAAL

C

cibyr

you married him knowing that

you knew that he has obligations of his children, do not make them suffer just because you wanted anew child with him. His children from previous relationships should COME FIRST not matter on how much he makes!!! SHEESH@!

carofl93

My husband has 2 kids from prior marriages, and when we found out we were expecting there was no way I would ask his other kids to take less money even though it meant that our child would have less. We use this neato thing called a budget! We now have custody of one of his children and haven't recieved a dime in 3 years from the deadbeat mother involved, and are expecting another child. If we can make it shelling out over $800 a month, then I think you can too. Suck it up. You knew what you were getting into when you got involved with the man. How would you feel if the shoe were on your foot?!?

S

sweet_caligirl

respect other people

You know we are not here to judge. I understand these situations can sometimes rub people the wrong way but she is only asking a question and being that way isn't going to make her feel welcome asking questions on this board.

S

sweet_caligirl

If you took a drastic drop in your income for the household they might take into consideration but most likely not. And the childsupport dept as far as the experience I have had with them isn't any help in answering questions like this. To my knowledge the amount either stays the same or the parent with the child can asked to have it reduced or raised.

Last edited:
L

Lizzy77

Good Grief!

I swear some of you guys are so rude! Someone comes to this site to simply ask a question and you jump all over her. All that needed to be said was no the support will not decrease. This forum is filled with the most criticizing, judemental people I have ever seen.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lizzy77 said:
I swear some of you guys are so rude! Someone comes to this site to simply ask a question and you jump all over her. All that needed to be said was no the support will not decrease. This forum is filled with the most criticizing, judemental people I have ever seen.

My response:

Yes, we can be rude. And yes, we can be "the most criticizing, judemental people [you] have ever seen".

Speaking for myself, what the hell is it to you?

Don't like it? Tough! Then go away.

IAAL

S

sweet_caligirl

This board is for everyone and we this board is meant for people to be able to ask questions not get critized for a question they ask. My whole point was to let you know that this isn't a place to make other people feel stupid for asking questions. Because once more it's not our place to judge. But whatever you have your opinion and I have mine.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sweet_caligirl said:
T

My whole point was to let you know that this isn't a place to make other people feel stupid for asking questions. Because once more it's not our place to judge.

My response:

Yes, it is - - and, yes it is.

Better to find out here, than to find out you're being stupid in court, and to be judged by a judge concerning your stupidity. By that time, it's too late.

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

We now have custody of one of his children and haven't recieved a dime in 3 years from the deadbeat mother involved, and are expecting another child.
And WHY IN THE HELL have you not returned to court to have the support (on both sides) amended to $0 as a washout? Listen, this problem is of your husband's making. Plain and simple.

If he wants the support lessened, especially since now you have one of the children and the ex has the other, then have him return to court to first file contempt charges against her and then petition to reduce or remove the support for the last child.

geeez, it ain't rocket science.

nextwife

Breezy is right. He should get the order modified. ALL his children, regardless of birth order, should be entitled to support from both of their parents, not just the one that lives with his ex.

carofl93

Sorry...should have clarified... Stepkids are from 2 different mothers. We are waiting for CSE here in FL to catch up with the Mother of the year. Now I feel like a total dumb*** LOL.

M

MindyT

Don't worry, Carofl93.....they WILL catch up, it being here in FL (I live in FL as well, Tallahassee area). The state of Florida goes after people who don't pay support like other states go after murderers; and here where I live, they can haul you into court for missing two payments!!! A day off work to go to court and miss that much more income, and the circle goes 'round again. It will be caught, don't worry.

carofl93

Thanks for the kind words, but it's been over 2 years now and CSE keeps dropping the ball. Just got a letter from them today that said that they tried to have Deadbeat served with papers in Virginia (4 months after we told them she was there) and it turns out that she has moved yet again. They did ask for her hubby's info now though. He's in the Navy so I am sure we will hear something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">