• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IM not sure what to do next

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mitzie1966

maine

I owe $4000 in back child support, Ive always paid til my father became ill and I moved. Original divorce papers is joint custody and I had primary residence of child. He was ordered to pay child support and he never paid a penny. My son decided he wanted to go stay with his father and his father went back to court cause he went on state assistance. At the time I had no problem providing for our son as in clothing,food etc. I was ordered to pay while I was paying child support I heard my son had gone to live with his aunt. I called child support services and they told me I still had to pay his father child support no matter where my child lived unless he was living with me. I have been without a job for sometime now and Ive had my drivers license revoked. I have tried to get a job and every job application requires driver license background check. I am stumped as what to do. What about the child support he never paid me that was court ordered? I can't even get temp license so I can drive back a forth to ajob

Proserpina

maine

I owe $4000 in back child support, Ive always paid til my father became ill and I moved. Original divorce papers is joint custody and I had primary residence of child. He was ordered to pay child support and he never paid a penny. My son decided he wanted to go stay with his father and his father went back to court cause he went on state assistance. At the time I had no problem providing for our son as in clothing,food etc. I was ordered to pay while I was paying child support I heard my son had gone to live with his aunt. I called child support services and they told me I still had to pay his father child support no matter where my child lived unless he was living with me. I have been without a job for sometime now and Ive had my drivers license revoked. I have tried to get a job and every job application requires driver license background check. I am stumped as what to do. What about the child support he never paid me that was court ordered? I can't even get temp license so I can drive back a forth to ajob

Assuming you actually owe the State (for the welfare etc.,), you'll still owe that regardless.

But have you asked that Dad's arrears be credited to you?

Isis1

first, why are you not considering filing for custody if the child is no longer living with dad?

Mitzie1966

Assuming you actually owe the State (for the welfare etc.,), you'll still owe that regardless.

But have you asked that Dad's arrears be credited to you?

I do plan to pay it and I am no way avoiding it. IF I could get a job of all the jobs I have applied require a drivers license. I have worked all my life and always provided for my children. I have contact child support and their rely was they never had a situation like this. They didnt know what to tell me except I will still have to pay off the balance. I will pay it but its too bad I am getting the worse end of the stick.

Proserpina

I do plan to pay it and I am no way avoiding it. IF I could get a job of all the jobs I have applied require a drivers license. I have worked all my life and always provided for my children. I have contact child support and their rely was they never had a situation like this. They didnt know what to tell me except I will still have to pay off the balance. I will pay it but its too bad I am getting the worse end of the stick.

Please don't be offended, but basically it's your son who's getting the worse end of the stick.

He has two parents who allowed him to make a decision that he shouldn't have been allowed to make.

Kids don't decide where they want to live.

How did you not know he was living with his aunt?

How much contact do you have?

Mitzie1966

first, why are you not considering filing for custody if the child is no longer living with dad?
This has only happened in the past year and my son is now over 18 yrs of age. Before I had lived up in northren state of Maine and my son chose not to move up with me, he missed all his friends. So he wanted to stay in the local area. I moved to NH not far from my son, to take care of my father as he is dying. My son was living with for me for a few months up until after his 18th birthday.

Proserpina

This has only happened in the past year and my son is now over 18 yrs of age. Before I had lived up in northren state of Maine and my son chose not to move up with me, he missed all his friends. So he wanted to stay in the local area. I moved to NH not far from my son, to take care of my father as he is dying. My son was living with for me for a few months up until after his 18th birthday.

Then I have no idea what you're actually asking. :confused:

You owe arrears - you need to pay them.

Mitzie1966

Please don't be offended, but basically it's your son who's getting the worse end of the stick.

He has two parents who allowed him to make a decision that he shouldn't have been allowed to make.

Kids don't decide where they want to live.

How did you not know he was living with his aunt?

How much contact do you have?
I am not offended at all. My door was always open to him and I have always been there for him. He called to tell me he was at his Aunt's. He was in his last year of high school and he promised he would finish high school. He felt he needed to leave his father's as they were butting heads alot. He thought of his aunt cause he would be able to attend the same school til he graduated.

Mitzie1966

Then I have no idea what you're actually asking. :confused:

You owe arrears - you need to pay them.

I know and I will pay them IF I can find a job since they revoked my license or find some way where he has to pay what was court ordered to pay which he never did. Which was like a year and a half. Ive always paid except for the last six months due to a family emergency. I did not plan to be without a job nor did I refuse to pay. I was hoping they could worked something out with me instead of taking my license

Proserpina

I know and I will pay them IF I can find a job since they revoked my license or find some way where he has to pay what was court ordered to pay which he never did. Which was like a year and a half. Ive always paid except for the last six months due to a family emergency. I did not plan to be without a job nor did I refuse to pay. I was hoping they could worked something out with me instead of taking my license

Is there public transport available?

Have you asked about a provisional (that's not the correct term; someone will correct me because I'm drawing a blank) license which will enable you to work?

Bicycle?

Isis1

you can request a license release on the condition you give a lump sum of something (anything, really) and a payment plan to follow.

if you ask the right person, you can make a payment plan on arrears. but you are going to need to start by filing a motion for sush a plan.

Mitzie1966

Is there public transport available?

Have you asked about a provisional (that's not the correct term; someone will correct me because I'm drawing a blank) license which will enable you to work?

Bicycle?
Yes I asked about the working license and they said no it was court ordered for the revocation so I will not beable to have that option. I would be more than happy to use public transportation or even walk. For what jobs are available all require a drivers license. I have even tried to find jobs online for working at home and found nothing. If I had anything of value I would sell it just to pay it so I can get my license back. I know longer even own a car cause it broke down and I couldn't afford for a mechanic to fix it( (due to losing my license). So at the time I junked it to pay something towards the child support a while back.

Mitzie1966

you can request a license release on the condition you give a lump sum of something (anything, really) and a payment plan to follow.

if you ask the right person, you can make a payment plan on arrears. but you are going to need to start by filing a motion for sush a plan.

I did request a motion to modify and they said a judge wouldn't even look at it cause my son was so close to 18 yrs old.

And the sad thing about all this my son's father has another son which is almost 20 years old has not seen him or paid child support since the day he was born. He never had his license revoked or anything. He has a daughter he just now started paying child support for her and she is 6 years old. It is sad it is only the children that pay for the hardship. I am happy I have a close relationship with my children.

mistoffolees

I did request a motion to modify and they said a judge wouldn't even look at it cause my son was so close to 18 yrs old.

But did you ever file a motion for contempt against Dad to pay the amount he owes? That might be the easiest way to come up with money to pay what you owe to the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">