• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

im paying it and hes not getting it!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

npilliti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

i have been paying child support without any problems for years. the payments automatically come out of each paycheck, and it's always the same amount withheld.
just recently (in the past year) i have been getting statements in the mail stating that ive fallen behind on my payments. i went along with the first statement, thinking there was a mistake, but they took my entire tax return money to "make up for it". I was furious to find out that just a few months later i received another statement like the first one. they took $400 EXTRA out of my next paycheck, on top of the original child support payment. and now i'm getting these statements monthly and they keep docking my paychecks to make up for the "behind payments". this is not possible!! ive called the all appropriate offices to work this out, but the employees are rude and never give me an answer. i even talked to my ex about it, and he recently told me he hasn't seen a dime in months. but i can prove that the money is being withheld every time i get paid. where is the money going?? and why am i behind when i have been paying??

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

i have been paying child support without any problems for years. the payments automatically come out of each paycheck, and it's always the same amount withheld.
just recently (in the past year) i have been getting statements in the mail stating that ive fallen behind on my payments. i went along with the first statement, thinking there was a mistake, but they took my entire tax return money to "make up for it". I was furious to find out that just a few months later i received another statement like the first one. they took $400 EXTRA out of my next paycheck, on top of the original child support payment. and now i'm getting these statements monthly and they keep docking my paychecks to make up for the "behind payments". this is not possible!! ive called the all appropriate offices to work this out, but the employees are rude and never give me an answer. i even talked to my ex about it, and he recently told me he hasn't seen a dime in months. but i can prove that the money is being withheld every time i get paid. where is the money going?? and why am i behind when i have been paying??

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Have you talked to your BOSS about it? Unfortunately, sometimes smaller companies withhold the money from their employees paychecks, but are bad about getting it submitted to the child support agencies in a timely fashion.

npilliti

i never thought of doing that. i didn't think my employer even dealt with things like that, i assumed the state has access to my income and withholds accordingly

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
i never thought of doing that. i didn't think my employer even dealt with things like that, i assumed the state has access to my income and withholds accordingly
The state forwards a withholding order to your employer and your employer holds and remits the monies to the state from your paycheck.

If you went through DHR, you know you can check the status of payments via the web?
https://216.226.178.178/opi/login.asp

If you didn't go through DHR, you can check status here.
http://childsupport.alacourt.gov/

DHR website on Child Support:
http://www.dhr.state.al.us/page.asp?pageid=288

This is a link for DHR policies.
ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES

No. Your employer is who withholds the money and sends it to the state.
Exactly. My husband's previous job withheld the money, and for 2 months never sent it in. I finally just asked him to check with his employer, and sure enough, there were envelopes with checks in them that they never bothered to send into NYS CS.

If they say they have sent them in, then politely ask for the cancelled checks so you can show proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">