• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imputation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisabeegood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi,
In March, my income was imputed 20 hours per week, retroactive to January. I home school both of my children and of course have them full time during the summer months. My ex husband has visitation every Tuesday for three hours and then every other weekend from Friday at 3 p.m. until Sunday at 6 p.m. Obviously, there are not twenty hours a week of child-free time for me to work. Am I able to hire a sitter for the time that I have to work and charge him for half of the cost? There is nothing listed in the court order that suggests this. If I can do this, does it have to be a written court order for him to pay? What would I use to prove to him he has to pay this cost?

Thank you,

Lisa

mistoffolees

Hi,
In March, my income was imputed 20 hours per week, retroactive to January. I home school both of my children and of course have them full time during the summer months. My ex husband has visitation every Tuesday for three hours and then every other weekend from Friday at 3 p.m. until Sunday at 6 p.m. Obviously, there are not twenty hours a week of child-free time for me to work. Am I able to hire a sitter for the time that I have to work and charge him for half of the cost? There is nothing listed in the court order that suggests this. If I can do this, does it have to be a written court order for him to pay? What would I use to prove to him he has to pay this cost?

Thank you,

Lisa
If the court order doesn't say you can bill ex for child care, then you can't do it.

If you can't afford to homeschool your kids, then stop doing it. There are public schools all over the country. Homeschooling is a choice, not a requirement. (Actually, you're lucky you were only imputed 20 hours).

Antigone*

Hi,

Thank you,

Lisa
If there is nothing listed in the court order for your ex to pay child care then that is on you. You obviously cannot afford to home school the kids. If home schooling is that important to you, then consider a night or evening job. There are certianly way more than 20-hours a week where you CAN be child-free. Just ask any working mom, and they'll tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">