• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imputed Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JerseyDevil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

If my ex husband quit his job over a year ago, and works at a internet work-at-home business now making less then half of what he made at his other job, can his income be imputed to what he made at the other job or close to it?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

If my ex husband quit his job over a year ago, and works at a internet work-at-home business now making less then half of what he made at his other job, can his income be imputed to what he made at the other job or close to it?

It could. The judge has that degree of discretion.

Silverplum

Yes, but right now it is in the middle of going through re-evaluation at his request for a reduction. I didn't know if I could ask for his income to be imputed at this point or not.
Yes, IMHO, because he chose to become under-employed AFTER being assigned a "value" for CS purposes.

*NOTE* I have NOT checked NJ CS statutes. That's up to the OP today.

Just Blue

Yes, IMHO, because he chose to become under-employed AFTER being assigned a "value" for CS purposes.

*NOTE* I have NOT checked NJ CS statutes. That's up to the OP today.
Curious. OP list her profession as "paralegal" and yet has to ask for free advice. One would think that an attorney at OP place of work or...GASP!!...OP herself would have the resources to look up this answer. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Curious. OP list her profession as "paralegal" and yet has to ask for free advice. One would think that an attorney at OP place of work or...GASP!!...OP herself would have the resources to look up this answer. :rolleyes:
I see the questioner is also the advisor:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/trapped-558818-p2.html

And elsewhere, I see. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JerseyDevil

Because we do corporate law, not family law at my firm. I know only the things I've already experienced in my own divorce about family law, and something new comes around the corner all the time. I'm here asking for advice from people who may have been in my similar situation, as well as searching the internet for information on it.

Just Blue

Because we do corporate law, not family law at my firm. I know only the things I've already experienced in my own divorce about family law, and something new comes around the corner all the time. I'm here asking for advice from people who may have been in my similar situation, as well as searching the internet for information on it.
Then you should STOP advising others on the Family Law Forum. Unless you are ready to back up your "advice" with State Stat's (per the OP's state) and or case law.

JerseyDevil

Then you should STOP advising others on the Family Law Forum. Unless you are ready to back up your "advice" with State Stat's (per the OP's state) and or case law.
I haven't seen anyone backing up anything with state stats on whatever they are advising... all I've seen is some advice from people, and the occasional bashing of the original posters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">