• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Whose income is calculated for child support. ie. If a parent remarries does the new spouses income calculate as part of their new income. Or what if she is not remarried and just has a domestic partner (living off his income and working as little as possible.)

LillianX

Before you go down this road, let me ask you this.

If you remarried, and your new wife were making 120k a year, would you think it fair that a judge take her income into account when figuring out your child support obligation?

No I wouldn't think its fair but if my new wife made over 100k a year my income would be zero. So taken into that account what is a fair amount for child support?

Antigone*

Before you go down this road, let me ask you this.

If you remarried, and your new wife were making 120k a year, would you think it fair that a judge take her income into account when figuring out your child support obligation?
Fair does not matter, Lil. The only thing that matters is what the law requires;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No I wouldn't think its fair but if my new wife made over 100k a year my income would be zero. So taken into that account what is a fair amount for child support?
Really? Then the court would impute an income for you - likely equal to what you were making before you decided to quit in order to avoid your obligations.

gam

The following is taken from the Michigan Child Support Formula, this is all located in the Manual
http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/resources/publications/manuals/focb/2008MCSFmanual.pdf

Poster should read the Child Support Formula Manual, also they have a supplement, which is just tables to get an idea of what child support will be. Top of the table is one parents income, the side of table is other parents income. The tables are located here
Michigan Child Support Formula

2.01(G) Potential Income
When a parent is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, or has an unexercised ability to earn, income includes the potential income that parent could earn, subject to that parent’s actual ability.
(1) The amount of potential income imputed should be sufficient to bring that parent’s income up to the level it would have been if the parent had not voluntarily reduced or waived income.
(a) The amount of potential income imputed (1) should not exceed the level it
would have been if there was no reduction in income, (2) not be based on more than a 40 hour work week, and (3) not include potential overtime or shift premiums.
(b) Imputation is not appropriate where an individual is employed full time (35 or more hours per week) but has chosen to cease working additional hours (such as leaving a second job or refusing overtime). But actual earnings for overtime, second job, and shift premiums are considered income.§2.01(C)(1).
(2) Use relevant factors both to determine whether the parent in question has an actual ability to earn and a reasonable likelihood of earning the potential income. To figure the amount of potential income that parent could earn, consider the following:
(a) Prior employment experience and history, including reasons for any
termination or changes in employment.
(b) Educational level and any special skills or training.
(c) Physical and mental disabilities that may affect a parent’s ability to obtain or maintain gainful employment.
(d) Availability for work (exclude periods when a parent could not work or seek work, e.g., hospitalization, incarceration, debilitating illness, etc.).
(e) Availability of opportunities to work in the local geographical area.
(f) The prevailing wage rates in the local geographical area.
(g) Diligence exercised in seeking appropriate employment.
(h) Evidence that the parent in question is able to earn the imputed income.
(i) Personal history, including present marital status and present means of support.
(j) The presence of the parties’ children in the parent's home and its impact on that parent’s earnings.
(k) Whether there has been a significant reduction in income compared to the
period that preceded the filing of the initial complaint or the motion for
modification.
(3) Imputation of potential income should account for the additional costs associated with earning the potential income such as child care and taxes that a parent would pay on the imputed income.
(4) The court makes the final determination whether imputing a potential income is appropriate in a particular case.
Note number 4, where the court makes the final determination on imputing. They do this on a case by case basis. I know there are cases where this has gone to the higher courts, so case law could be out there for a particular situation.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Whose income is calculated for child support. ie. If a parent remarries does the new spouses income calculate as part of their new income. Or what if she is not remarried and just has a domestic partner (living off his income and working as little as possible.)
It doesn't matter if the parent is married or not. Bottom line is that if the parent voluntarily chooses not to work (because someone else is supporting them or simply because they don't want to work), the court can impute an income. Depending on the circumstances, that could be anywhere from minimum wage up to the salary that the person was earning before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">