• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income changes..how does it affect....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jltrample

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I was divorced a few months ago. The court has issued a dollar amount for my ex-husband to pay child support each month, and he is doing such. Each year, I would expect both incomes to fluctuate (hopefully for the positive), as annual raises come about and cost of living changes. My question is this: how does this affect the child support? Obviously, as the cost of living rises and my daughter's financial needs also rise, surely the amount won't remain the same for the next fourteen years or more. I remember our papers said that we would each provide an income reporting to the other by (whatever date).... but I don't know how the child support is handled. Is it to be recalculated each year? Who does this? How do I go about having this done? My ex makes almost twice what I do, and I am positive I "pay more" for my daughter's care. That, I guess, is neither here nor there with this line of questioning**************but I don't want to continue struggling as I am now.....forever. Any information?

Neal1421

jltrample said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I was divorced a few months ago. The court has issued a dollar amount for my ex-husband to pay child support each month, and he is doing such. Each year, I would expect both incomes to fluctuate (hopefully for the positive), as annual raises come about and cost of living changes. My question is this: how does this affect the child support? Obviously, as the cost of living rises and my daughter's financial needs also rise, surely the amount won't remain the same for the next fourteen years or more. I remember our papers said that we would each provide an income reporting to the other by (whatever date).... but I don't know how the child support is handled. Is it to be recalculated each year? Who does this? How do I go about having this done? My ex makes almost twice what I do, and I am positive I "pay more" for my daughter's care. That, I guess, is neither here nor there with this line of questioning**************but I don't want to continue struggling as I am now.....forever. Any information?
Unless there is a substantial change in incomes, your case will likely only be up for review every three years. The court is too busy to go through every case every year to determine whether or not child support needs to be increased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">