• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

income tax/ support arrearages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redlee71701

ohio i owe 700 dollars in arrearages and will get a substantially larger amount returned for my income taxes. this is mt first year claiming my child and i dont know what to expect as a result of this. please respond...

BL

They will most likely intercept your return,then send you the difference,as long as that brings you current .

If they don't return the difference,contact them.

If by chance and the return slips through the system,and you get the whole amount,pay up,and keep it paid up.

Phnx02

redlee71701 said:
ohio i owe 700 dollars in arrearages and will get a substantially larger amount returned for my income taxes. this is mt first year claiming my child and i dont know what to expect as a result of this. please respond...
Depends.....I believe your tax refund can only be intercepted IF your ex or the state filed contempt against you (for the arreage). If nothing like this has been filed with the courts, then the IRS doesn't have any knowledge you are behind to "block" the refund. Regardless, pay the arrears and pay on time so you won't ever have to worry about this!

Gracie3787

Phnx02 said:
Depends.....I believe your tax refund can only be intercepted IF your ex or the state filed contempt against you (for the arreage). If nothing like this has been filed with the courts, then the IRS doesn't have any knowledge you are behind to "block" the refund. Regardless, pay the arrears and pay on time so you won't ever have to worry about this!
That is incorrect.

A tax refund can be intercepted without any contempt filing or any other court filing. The CS agency simply sends a letter to IRS, it's that simple and easy.

DAMJAM

Gracie3787 said:
That is incorrect.

A tax refund can be intercepted without any contempt filing or any other court filing. The CS agency simply sends a letter to IRS, it's that simple and easy.
I have recently filed for CSE and am wondering if the paperwork will be processed in time to intercept the return - Does anybody have any experience in this?

BL

DAMJAM said:
I have recently filed for CSE and am wondering if the paperwork will be processed in time to intercept the return - Does anybody have any experience in this?

Is there a reason you couldn't start your own thread ? = Post a new message .

DAMJAM

Blonde Lebinese said:
Is there a reason you couldn't start your own thread ? = Post a new message .
No reason whatsoever. Thanks for your constructive advice BLONDE LEBINESE.

VeronicaGia

DAMJAM said:
Typically the IRS sends out notices to obligors in the September/October time frame.

If you have just filed for support and don't yet have an order, it is very unlikely you will get this years tax refunds since there are technically no arrears.

DAMJAM

VeronicaGia said:
Typically the IRS sends out notices to obligors in the September/October time frame.

If you have just filed for support and don't yet have an order, it is very unlikely you will get this years tax refunds since there are technically no arrears.
Thank you Veronica!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
DAMJAM said:
No reason whatsoever. Thanks for your constructive advice BLONDE LEBINESE.
And BL was absolutely correct. All it does when a poster asks their own question in an existing thread is confuse the issue the original poster asked about. It's called hijacking a thread, and is poor netiquette.

DAMJAM

stealth2 said:
And BL was absolutely correct. All it does when a poster asks their own question in an existing thread is confuse the issue the original poster asked about. It's called hijacking a thread, and is poor netiquette.
Ah - and Thank YOU for your constructive advice as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">