• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inherite $$ - Connecticut child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcdunham

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hi, My ex is inheriting approx $750,000 (from his father)-- with that said, right now, child support is based on incomes where I make twice as much as him. I pay insurance, etc,etc -- Is there any chance I can get child support more equally balanced? Or at least get some of the money taken out of his control so that I can be ensured that there will be money available at time of college (about 5 years away)? -- Note: He also NEVER calls or tries to see his child - is there anything that takes into account that he's just a deadbeat. :mad:

BelizeBreeze

Read HUMPHREYS V. DEROSS ...inheritance is except in Conneticut from Child Support Calculations.

The fact that he nevers calls or sees the child is irrelevant to support.

Added:

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has held that the corpus of an inheritance is excluded from child support calculations under the Support Guidelines definition of income.

However, the court noted that the best interest analysis can allow for an upward deviation from the guideline amount when the fact finder determines that the inheritance is a factor which makes more income available for support.

Based on the synopsis of this case, I would advise filing a motion to modify and ask the court to require daddy to deposit enough money into a trust for the child's educational needs post-secondary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">