• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silverwolf

What is the name of your state? VA

If the child support I pay helps to pay the insurance on my child should I be given a insurance card or should I (as my ex has told me) have to call from the doctors office to get the number off his card.

Thanks

If your ex was a helpful person she'd request a copy and it could be mailed to her within a week. But if she's not, then you're stuck just sharing the same card. If you are in the situation where you are taking the child to many appointments, or picking up prescriptions, then having a copy of the card is only reasonable

I have insurance on my kids and I gave Mom a copy of their cards. Just depends on how far the two of you go to keep the peace.

Can you call the insurance company and request a second card? They may send it to her address, but you never know... they might send it to yours. Or go to the doctors office, they should have a copy... and ask for them to make you a copy.

What a trivial issue... then again, I should be able to recognize trivial issues... my life is full of them with my ex.

Good luck!

Noelle_71

NCP Dad in TN said:
If your ex was a helpful person she'd request a copy and it could be mailed to her within a week. But if she's not, then you're stuck just sharing the same card. If you are in the situation where you are taking the child to many appointments, or picking up prescriptions, then having a copy of the card is only reasonable

I have insurance on my kids and I gave Mom a copy of their cards. Just depends on how far the two of you go to keep the peace.

Can you call the insurance company and request a second card? They may send it to her address, but you never know... they might send it to yours. Or go to the doctors office, they should have a copy... and ask for them to make you a copy.

What a trivial issue... then again, I should be able to recognize trivial issues... my life is full of them with my ex.

Good luck!

I believe the OP is a female**************. "If the child support I pay helps to pay the insurance on my child should I be given a insurance card or should I (as my ex has told me) have to call from the doctors office to get the number off his card."

CJane

It actually depends on what is stated in your parenting plan. If the ex is ordered to provide you with insurance cards, and does not, he's in contempt. If that's the case, I'd recommend sending a brief letter requesting a copy of the cards, certified return receipt and enclose a copy of the page of the parenting plan that addresses the issue.

If the decree does NOT state that he is to provide you with cards, then it really is up to him. However, I'm not sure why you have to call to get the numbers 'every time'. Why not write down all appropriate numbers and carry them in your purse?

Do you have joint legal custody that allows you to seek medical care for the child w/out dad's permission?

This is not an issue of whether or not your child support helps to pay for insurance for the child/ren, but whether or not either of you is in violation of a court order.

silverwolf

Thanks

CJane said:
It actually depends on what is stated in your parenting plan. If the ex is ordered to provide you with insurance cards, and does not, he's in contempt. If that's the case, I'd recommend sending a brief letter requesting a copy of the cards, certified return receipt and enclose a copy of the page of the parenting plan that addresses the issue.

If the decree does NOT state that he is to provide you with cards, then it really is up to him. However, I'm not sure why you have to call to get the numbers 'every time'. Why not write down all appropriate numbers and carry them in your purse?

Do you have joint legal custody that allows you to seek medical care for the child w/out dad's permission?

This is not an issue of whether or not your child support helps to pay for insurance for the child/ren, but whether or not either of you is in violation of a court order.
We have a mediated agreement that he had drown up on his own. There are many holes in there where he uses it to do things the way he would like and I end up going along with it to keep peace. I guess it would be up to him if he gives me a copy or not in this case. I do have joint custody with him having physical. I guess I should have made myself a little more clear on this issue. He doesnt want me to call and get the number off the insurance card he wants me to have the billing clerk that does all the insurance filling to call. In other words he doesnt want me to have the number, he would rather I go through the whole humiliation thing and explain why I dont have physical custody and dont have a insurance card. I have gotten my daughter medical attention in the past and just paid for it but the price of medical care just goes higher and higher.

I really appreicate all the advice, sorry for the confussion on me being a female and not a male. Just a word to all you dads that get a raw deal**************......being a mom that has joint but not physical I have learned a whole new respect for being the other parent. You end up being a weekend babysitter and a check in the mail to pay for evenings out on the town and a new out fit for Mom(or a new truck for dad in my case). Being a woman I dont stand a chance to start with, all that has to be said is that the mom doesnt have physical and imediately I have done something, Im a drunk or something of that nature. It makes a parent that tries to pay the child support and go along with all the bullying get to a point they just want to give up. Since I have been on here getting advice I have had a few cut into me without knowing the whole story and some have truly tried to help and I am greatful. It does happen to Mommy's too.

silverwolf

Thanks

NCP Dad in TN said:

Good luck!
Your not alone only difference is Im a mommy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">