• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitkat11

What is the name of your state? Virginia and Kentucky

I have been wondering about this subject for a while and have read conflicting info on insurance deductions.
We live in Va but my step-daughter lives in KY with her mom. My husband started a new job that has a local insurance company that does not cover Kentucky unless our entire family signed up for a PPO that would cause us to pay 15% of all Dr.'s visits for the entire family. My husband's divorce decree states that he is to provide insurance for said child, but since the insurance changes she is on her mother's insurance. Because of this, we pay his ex- wife more child support since she pays the premium, but we pay over $480 for our insurance premium, plus an additional $50 a month for child's other insurance.
Some sites say that health insurance premiums should be allowed to be deducted for each parent, is that right? Can we claim our health insurance on the child support worksheet for Kentucky?
It's not really fair to be punished for having to have health insurance. Since it is taken out of his check before taxes, should his take home pay be the amount that we use on the worksheet?
Any info would be really helpful!!!

I believe you can amend the CO to reflect CP carrying the insurance & then NCP wouldn't have to carry it, but would likely have to pay a little higher CS instead. I was under the impression that it is usually the NCP to carry the insurance, but that really it is the parent that has cheaper access to insurance that should carry the child. That's what we were told. (I'm in SC).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">