• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IOWA-Disabled,Receiving SSDI as is Daughter.Owe back support to X,Now wife Income Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borninabarn

IOWA-In 2008 I could no longer work because of a disability and because of that I could no longer make my monthly child support payment as I had up till then.I owe back child support around $9000 now.I have since remarried.I was deemed disabled by SSA last year and now I receive a monthly benefit and my Daughter also receives $550 per month from SSA.My child support payment was $ 300 per month.Child support now takes out $36 a month extra to pay on the past due owed support of around $9000 now and I do not know how they came up with that amount? Before I started receiving and my Daughter receiving these SSA benefits my wife and I filed Married filing joint and I had to fill out a form 8379 so she could get back her refund because I had -0-income.Now this year I received an SSA 1099 for my SSDI payments that did not have any taxes taken out of them.
My question is:If we file Married filing Joint for 2014(this years) with my Daughter receiving $250 (from SSA) over per month the original child support payment of $300 and the $36 a month child support has taken out of my SSDI monthly benefits will my wife receive both her full state and her full federal tax refund now without child support taking anything from it? Do I need to fill out that form 8379(Injured Spouse Allocation)?It seemed to me the last time I talked to my child support case advisor she said everything was changed now and that this is how it was going to be now that I am disabled? Sorry so long I just wanted to make sure I covered everthing going on.Thank You for your time.

LdiJ

IOWA-In 2008 I could no longer work because of a disability and because of that I could no longer make my monthly child support payment as I had up till then.I owe back child support around $9000 now.I have since remarried.I was deemed disabled by SSA last year and now I receive a monthly benefit and my Daughter also receives $550 per month from SSA.My child support payment was $ 300 per month.Child support now takes out $36 a month extra to pay on the past due owed support of around $9000 now and I do not know how they came up with that amount? Before I started receiving and my Daughter receiving these SSA benefits my wife and I filed Married filing joint and I had to fill out a form 8379 so she could get back her refund because I had -0-income.Now this year I received an SSA 1099 for my SSDI payments that did not have any taxes taken out of them.
My question is:If we file Married filing Joint for 2014(this years) with my Daughter receiving $250 (from SSA) over per month the original child support payment of $300 and the $36 a month child support has taken out of my SSDI monthly benefits will my wife receive both her full state and her full federal tax refund now without child support taking anything from it? Do I need to fill out that form 8379(Injured Spouse Allocation)?It seemed to me the last time I talked to my child support case advisor she said everything was changed now and that this is how it was going to be now that I am disabled? Sorry so long I just wanted to make sure I covered everthing going on.Thank You for your time.
Did your daughter receive any lump sum back pay when your SSDI was granted? What you really need to do is go back to court to get the lump sum credited towards your arrears and the current benefit for your daughter deemed as your child support.

single317dad

Edited for readability (comic sans + no spaces after punctuation? ugh.)

IOWA-In 2008 I could no longer work because of a disability and because of that I could no longer make my monthly child support payment as I had up till then. I owe back child support around $9000 now. I have since remarried. I was deemed disabled by SSA last year and now I receive a monthly benefit and my Daughter also receives $550 per month from SSA.

My child support payment was $300 per month. Child support now takes out $36 a month extra to pay on the past due owed support of around $9000 now and I do not know how they came up with that amount? Before I started receiving and my Daughter receiving these SSA benefits my wife and I filed Married filing joint and I had to fill out a form 8379 so she could get back her refund because I had -0-income. Now this year I received an SSA 1099 for my SSDI payments that did not have any taxes taken out of them.

My question is: If we file Married filing Joint for 2014 (this years) with my Daughter receiving $250 (from SSA) over per month the original child support payment of $300 and the $36 a month child support has taken out of my SSDI monthly benefits will my wife receive both her full state and her full federal tax refund now without child support taking anything from it? Do I need to fill out that form 8379 (Injured Spouse Allocation)? It seemed to me the last time I talked to my child support case advisor she said everything was changed now and that this is how it was going to be now that I am disabled? Sorry so long I just wanted to make sure I covered everthing going on. Thank You for your time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is this all about? UGH? Who are you?
A senior poster who actually tried to help YOU y making post more legible so others would read it and attempt to help you. After the above response, I have only the following comment...

UGH! Go pay a lawyer and/or accountant to answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">