• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitecat

What is the name of your state? new york I am badly in need of information. Currently, I have no income. I was working part-time out of state, but just recently had a car accident, and no longer am able to go to that job. My ex-boyfriend and I have joint custody of our 2 year old son. Am I eligilble to file for child support? I am about to be evicted, as I am not able to pay my rent, and bills. Any input will help.

VeronicaGia

whitecat said:
What is the name of your state? new york I am badly in need of information. Currently, I have no income. I was working part-time out of state, but just recently had a car accident, and no longer am able to go to that job. My ex-boyfriend and I have joint custody of our 2 year old son. Am I eligilble to file for child support? I am about to be evicted, as I am not able to pay my rent, and bills. Any input will help.
So you think he should be responsible for your portion of rent and bills too? Why should he? If he has custody, should you be responsible for all of his rent and bills?

Phnx02

whitecat said:
Of course you do! How was joint custody already established without a CS order in place too? In most joint custody cases the child lives with one parent as his primary residence....let's assume it's you since you didn't say...... so you would be the custodial parent. The other parent would be the non-custodial parent, will have a visitation schedule, and will have to pay cs to you.....the custodial parent. File for cs asap. Your child deserves it and it's his right. Since you are unemployed, file thru your state child support/enforcement collection agency. It's free to do this. However, be aware that this takes time. It can take many, many months because all state CS collection agencies are unindated with cases just like yours every month. So in the meantime, you will have to figure out how to support your child on your own. Good luck!

nextwife

Phnx02 said:
Of course you do! How was joint custody already established without a CS order in place too? In most joint custody cases the child lives with one parent as his primary residence....let's assume it's you since you didn't say...... so you would be the custodial parent. The other parent would be the non-custodial parent, will have a visitation schedule, and will have to pay cs to you.....the custodial parent. File for cs asap. Your child deserves it and it's his right. Since you are unemployed, file thru your state child support/enforcement collection agency. It's free to do this. However, be aware that this takes time. It can take many, many months because all state CS collection agencies are unindated with cases just like yours every month. So in the meantime, you will have to figure out how to support your child on your own. Good luck!
I don't think we can accurately answer the question UNTIL we know exactly what, if any, court order exists.

And there are couples who DO have true joint physical custody (some are regular posters here) and NEITHER is the "custodial parent". WE don't even know that our poster has the child more time per week than the other parent does. So, I'd prefer to not just say YES, unless we know what the custody agreement states.

In any event, it is not a NCPs responsibility to support the CP, only to support the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">