• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge requesting my income-not a parent of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbronx1236

What is the name of your state? NY
My boyfriend is a non-custodial parent of 1 child. NYC child support judge has requested MY tax return info, WHY? We are not married, why is my income being brought into this if the child is not mine? :confused:

mbronx1236

Yes-collecting unemployment

:) Yes he is collecting NYS Unemployment since Dec 2004. And has proof of prior years of collecting unemployment since other child was born in 2001.

mbronx1236

Define "Supporting Him"

Please define what you mean by "supporting" him. He and I live together, we have a child together since 1999. I pay rent since he is laid off, I pay coned, cable, phone, cell phone, and car payment since he only collects 364.50 a week and child support judge is making him pay 223.00 per week for ONE child. The judge wants my tax info now.

rmet4nzkx

Why is this no surprise?
He owes child support, he can work but chooses not to and you are aiding and abetting him so the judge can go after your income as well, in addition to what he pays from his unemployment. He owes current child support and how much in arears? Well if you don't want the judge to garnish your income or tax refunds, tell him to get off his fat a$$ and get to work and be responsible for all his children. Some catch you got there, is it worth it? Worried if you push him, that he might leave? Don't worry about him, he'll find another woman to sponge off soon enough. Make sure you establish paternity and child support orders ASAP, your child will come second, but you are already paying for everything so without him, you will still come out ahead.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It does sound as thought you're pretty much supporting him. But, to be honest, I'd be leery of just turning over my tax info were I in your situation. So I would likely go talk to a lawyer to find out exactly where I stand.

haiku

I agree with Stealth, in that I would be consulting a lawyer, as long as your S/O is paying current and paying his arrearage payment, your income should really not be the courts concern....
Is he asking for any sort of reduction due to his financial situation? that may be why they now want your info? (your ability to support him at a lesser rate of pay then he once made, for example).......

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
It does sound as thought you're pretty much supporting him. But, to be honest, I'd be leery of just turning over my tax info were I in your situation. So I would likely go talk to a lawyer to find out exactly where I stand.
She is not a party to the case and doesn't even have a legal relationship to dad. She should definitely consult with an attorney before providing any of her info. I personally don't think that the judge has the authority to order her to provide her information....however the judge can certainly "punish" dad if she doesn't.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LdiJ said:
She is not a party to the case and doesn't even have a legal relationship to dad. She should definitely consult with an attorney before providing any of her info. I personally don't think that the judge has the authority to order her to provide her information....however the judge can certainly "punish" dad if she doesn't.
I think there's more to the whole story, to be honest. I just don't feel like trying to dig it up.

haiku

yep.... I was kinda thinkin' judges don't just get the idea to call up a girl friends income out of the blue.....

topsidder

THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO - but i would tell the judge to pound sand and sit in a cell for contempt, lose your job, then go on state aid.

You are not even married to this man. The state has absolutly no right to your information. UNLESS YOUR BOYFRIEND HAS GIVEN STATEMENT THAT HIS SOLE INCOME IS YOU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">