• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jurisdiction of CS when both parents are military

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kytweetybird

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My ex-wife and I are both employed with the USAF. Our child support order is thru KY, but we no longer reside in KY due to the military moves. I am a current resident of KY, as in the military our residence doesn't change due to the multiple moves. Our income has greatly increased since the initial child support order, so I am awaiting the papers from my ex-wife for a new court date asking for an increase in child support :) . My question is, can my ex-wife have the jurisdiction of child support moved to the state she resides in or is there something I can do to keep the jurisdiction in KY? I am thinking she will try to have it moved to the state she resides in because the increase will be a lot more in her state than in KY. Any suggestions? Thanks

LdiJ

kytweetybird said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My ex-wife and I are both employed with the USAF. Our child support order is thru KY, but we no longer reside in KY due to the military moves. I am a current resident of KY, as in the military our residence doesn't change due to the multiple moves. Our income has greatly increased since the initial child support order, so I am awaiting the papers from my ex-wife for a new court date asking for an increase in child support :) . My question is, can my ex-wife have the jurisdiction of child support moved to the state she resides in or is there something I can do to keep the jurisdiction in KY? I am thinking she will try to have it moved to the state she resides in because the increase will be a lot more in her state than in KY. Any suggestions? Thanks
Since the orders were originally made in KY, and you still live there, I doubt that mom would be able to get jurisdiction changed. There are laws in place to avoid parents being able to "jurisdiction shop" in order to get a better deal. However, that doesn't mean that she can't use her local CS agency to handle the case for her....but KY guidelines would still need to be used.

kytweetybird

Thanks for the advice. I sure you are right in that KY guidelines will be used during the modifications. I'll update again after the court date.
Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">