• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction to Modify Chils Supprt MO, KS, CO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chicken1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, Kansas, Colorado

Paternity/CS/Custody determined in: Missouri
Mom lives in : Kansas for last 7 years
I live in: Colorado for last 3 years, 5 years in SD before
2 kids live in: Colorado

The decree that originated in Missouri as been motified by stipulation twice in Missouri in the last 6 years.

Modification #1 (2007) was because our son was coming to live with me in SD. The stipulation for modification stated that mom and I would have joint legal, joint physical custody of both children with son residing with me in SD, and daughter residing with mom in KS with nobody paying any child support, and each parent covering all expenses for the child that resided with them. (there was visitation addressed to)

Modification #2 (2013) was because our daughter had come to live with me in CO. Mom and I agreed on this change of custody, and mom agreed to pay CS. I did up a form 14 that mom agreed to. I then talked to attorneys and was advised that I could file in Missouri as long as mom and I both agreed to keep it there even though neither of resided there. Mom agreed. Mom went to my attorneys office in Missouri and signed a waiver of service, parenting plan, and all other paperwork. My attorney submitted everything to the court, a hearing was held and was attended by mom, myself, and my attorney. The judge asked me if I agreed to the stipulated parenting plan, I said yes. The judge then advised mom that she had a right to an attorney, mom said she knew but didn't want one. The judge then asked if she agreed to the stipulated parenting plan, mom said yes/ The judge then asked her is she agreed that the CS was just and appropriate, mom said yes. Judge signs everything, and off we go all happy.

THEN: Mom refuses to pay CS, and flat tells me she wont pay a dime until she is forced to. OK..So I cal Missouri CSED and they tell me to call Colorado CSED. I call Colorado CSED and they get everything together and send it to KS for registration and enforcement. Mom had 20 to contest the validity of the order to withhold income. Mom then hires an attorney, asks for a 14 day extension of time to file, and is saying that Kansas cant enforce the Missouri order because it didn't have jurisdiction to modify.

Did a Missouri court have jurisdiction to modify CS if we stipulated to it? and neither party objected to jurisdiction at the time because it was the originating state? My old attorney assured me it did, but now I am wondering.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, Kansas, Colorado

Paternity/CS/Custody determined in: Missouri
Mom lives in : Kansas for last 7 years
I live in: Colorado for last 3 years, 5 years in SD before
2 kids live in: Colorado

The decree that originated in Missouri as been motified by stipulation twice in Missouri in the last 6 years.

Modification #1 (2007) was because our son was coming to live with me in SD. The stipulation for modification stated that mom and I would have joint legal, joint physical custody of both children with son residing with me in SD, and daughter residing with mom in KS with nobody paying any child support, and each parent covering all expenses for the child that resided with them. (there was visitation addressed to)

Modification #2 (2013) was because our daughter had come to live with me in CO. Mom and I agreed on this change of custody, and mom agreed to pay CS. I did up a form 14 that mom agreed to. I then talked to attorneys and was advised that I could file in Missouri as long as mom and I both agreed to keep it there even though neither of resided there. Mom agreed. Mom went to my attorneys office in Missouri and signed a waiver of service, parenting plan, and all other paperwork. My attorney submitted everything to the court, a hearing was held and was attended by mom, myself, and my attorney. The judge asked me if I agreed to the stipulated parenting plan, I said yes. The judge then advised mom that she had a right to an attorney, mom said she knew but didn't want one. The judge then asked if she agreed to the stipulated parenting plan, mom said yes/ The judge then asked her is she agreed that the CS was just and appropriate, mom said yes. Judge signs everything, and off we go all happy.

THEN: Mom refuses to pay CS, and flat tells me she wont pay a dime until she is forced to. OK..So I cal Missouri CSED and they tell me to call Colorado CSED. I call Colorado CSED and they get everything together and send it to KS for registration and enforcement. Mom had 20 to contest the validity of the order to withhold income. Mom then hires an attorney, asks for a 14 day extension of time to file, and is saying that Kansas cant enforce the Missouri order because it didn't have jurisdiction to modify.

Did a Missouri court have jurisdiction to modify CS if we stipulated to it? and neither party objected to jurisdiction at the time because it was the originating state? My old attorney assured me it did, but now I am wondering.

I have an idea of what Mom's attorney is up to, but a quick question first.

The orders originated in Missouri, yes? What happened after you contacted Colorado?

chicken1234

I am curious at to what you think they are up to.

Yes orders originated in Missouri.

After I contacted Colorado CSED they said they tried to send an incoming withholding to mom's work in KS but their efforts were not working so Colorado CSED sent it to Kansas CSED to register and start withholding. Mom is saying Kansas cant enforce because Missouri shouldn't have modified it to begin with.

Mom is over 7k in arrears :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Until jurisdiction is transferred via UCCJEA the MO court ruling is enforceable.
Child Support is covered by the UIFSA. :cool:
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/interstate-child-support-enforcement-case-processing-and-uifsa
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/uifsa-procedural-guidelines-handbook

OHRoadwarrior

Ya know I seem to have a problem separating the two. I KEEP making that same mistake over and over.:confused::eek::(

Child Support is covered by the UIFSA. :cool:
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/interstate-child-support-enforcement-case-processing-and-uifsa
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/uifsa-procedural-guidelines-handbook

chicken1234

What happens at UIFSA/child support hearing, KS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas (Johnson County)

My ex has filed a request for hearing on the UIFSA registration. What happens at one of these hearings? Who will hear the arguments, a judge or is there and hearing officer, or somebody else?

Do I need to hire an attorney to represent me?

OHRoadwarrior

Call the Child Support Call Center in Kansas (CSCC) toll free at 1-888-757-2445. They should help for free. You can also call the District Court Trustee for assistance.
http://courttrustee.jocogov.org/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">