• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just curious-child support accountability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLWE

CS accountability is an often debated issue. Eleven states have statutes providing for CS accountability. I am curious as to whether when requested, is it often granted?

Eleven states have statutes that allow the court to demand an accounting from the custodial parent of how child support is spent and one state that has allowed such accounting via case law.

Colorado: Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 14-10-115(3)(b)(III) (1999);
Delaware: Del. Code Ann. tit. 13, § 518 (1994);
Florida: Fla. Stat. Ann. §61.13(a)(1) (Supp. 2000);
Indiana: Ind. Code Ann. § 31-16-9-6 (1997);
Kansas: Kan. Stat. Ann. § 60-1616(f) (1995);
Louisiana: La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 9:312 (Supp. 1999);
Missouri: Mo. Rev. Stat. § 452.342 (1997);
Nebraska: Neb. Rev. Stat. § 42-364(6) (1999);
Oklahoma: Okla. Stat. tit. 43, § 118(B)(21) (Supp. 1999);
Oregon: Or. Rev. Stat. § 107.105(1)(c) (Supp. 1998);
Washington: Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 26.23.050(2)(a)(ii) (Supp. 1999).
Alabama: (Alabama authorizes accounting under specific facts as outlined in McDuffie v. Holland, 690 So. 2d 386 (Ala. Civ. App. 1996)

Shay-Pari'e

TLWE said:
CS accountability is an often debated issue. Eleven states have statutes providing for CS accountability. I am curious as to whether when requested, is it often granted?

Eleven states have statutes that allow the court to demand an accounting from the custodial parent of how child support is spent and one state that has allowed such accounting via case law.

Colorado: Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 14-10-115(3)(b)(III) (1999);
Delaware: Del. Code Ann. tit. 13, § 518 (1994);
Florida: Fla. Stat. Ann. §61.13(a)(1) (Supp. 2000);
Indiana: Ind. Code Ann. § 31-16-9-6 (1997);
Kansas: Kan. Stat. Ann. § 60-1616(f) (1995);
Louisiana: La. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 9:312 (Supp. 1999);
Missouri: Mo. Rev. Stat. § 452.342 (1997);
Nebraska: Neb. Rev. Stat. § 42-364(6) (1999);
Oklahoma: Okla. Stat. tit. 43, § 118(B)(21) (Supp. 1999);
Oregon: Or. Rev. Stat. § 107.105(1)(c) (Supp. 1998);
Washington: Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 26.23.050(2)(a)(ii) (Supp. 1999).
Alabama: (Alabama authorizes accounting under specific facts as outlined in McDuffie v. Holland, 690 So. 2d 386 (Ala. Civ. App. 1996)
It might have helped if you actually asked a question.

TLWE

--PARIDISE-- said:
That is a blanket question that no one can answer.
Perhaps, perhaps not...there could be someone around FA who has dealt with it. Unless of course, you have a crystal ball and know that no one around FA has dealt with this issue?

TLWE

--PARIDISE-- said:
You are asking if child support can be granted with no details. How is anyone suppose to know that?
LOL, Paradise...I think you need some coffee! I didn't ask whether or not CS could be granted.

There are 11 states that have statutes that allow the court to demand accountability of how CP's spend CS. I am just curious if anyone knows how often it is actully done.

Shay-Pari'e

TLWE said:
LOL, Paradise...I think you need some coffee! I didn't ask whether or not CS could be granted.

There are 11 states that have statutes that allow the court to demand accountability of how CP's spend CS. I am just curious if anyone knows how often it is actully done.
And how are we suppose to tell you how often?

TLWE

--PARIDISE-- said:
And how are we suppose to tell you how often?
I don't understand what your problem with this question is. First you tell me, "It might have helped if you actually asked a question." When I did ask a question. Then you said, "You are asking if child support can be granted with no details. How is anyone suppose to know that?" I asked nothing about CS being granted.

It's like you want to turn a simple question into a pissing contest.

I am not asking for raw data, graphs, and charts. Just curious if anyone at FA has any knowledge about whether or not the courts (in the states that have the statutes for it) often demand CS accountability from CP's. There are a lot of members here who are either lawyer's or have been around a long time and know a lot facts and info.

LdiJ

TLWE said:
I don't understand what your problem with this question is. First you tell me, "It might have helped if you actually asked a question." When I did ask a question. Then you said, "You are asking if child support can be granted with no details. How is anyone suppose to know that?" I asked nothing about CS being granted.

It's like you want to turn a simple question into a pissing contest.

I am not asking for raw data, graphs, and charts. Just curious if anyone at FA has any knowledge about whether or not the courts (in the states that have the statutes for it) often demand CS accountability from CP's. There are a lot of members here who are either lawyer's or have been around a long time and know a lot facts and info.
Ok, I will answer you. I have seen that question asked quite often on various boards and the general answer that most attorneys give is that judges almost never require a custodial parent to account for how child support is spent.

In the rare instance that it happens, its generally when its crystal clear that the children are doing without the basic necessities.

Are you asking because the kids are clearly doing without the basic necessities?...or are you asking simply because you think mom ought to be required to give you an expense report every month? Please remember that CS goes for all expenses, both direct and indirect.

TLWE

LdiJ said:
Ok, I will answer you. I have seen that question asked quite often on various boards and the general answer that most attorneys give is that judges almost never require a custodial parent to account for how child support is spent.

In the rare instance that it happens, its generally when its crystal clear that the children are doing without the basic necessities.

***TY for the reply. I figured someone around FA had some knowledge about this. I found out about it while reading around and found it interesting; I had not heard of it before. I have seen and heard many discussions on CP's should/shouldn't be held accountable for CS spending.

LdiJ said:
Are you asking because the kids are clearly doing without the basic necessities?...or are you asking simply because you think mom ought to be required to give you an expense report every month? Please remember that CS goes for all expenses, both direct and indirect.
***LOL, none of the above. I have been married to my first and only hubby for 14 years. Law, especially family law, really interests me. I have many friends who are in several different divorce, step, and blended family situations, so we discuss these things a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">