• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just got motion to hold me in contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MydogBella

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello everyone,

I just got in the mail a Motion that my ex filed to hold me in contempt of court. Right now my child support payments are behind yes...but I have filed a petition to modify my payments and time sharing. My question is this...will the court automatically hold me in contempt and grant that motion? Or will the court set a date for a hearing? Thanks in advance everyone for your help and advice.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello everyone,

I just got in the mail a Motion that my ex filed to hold me in contempt of court. Right now my child support payments are behind yes...but I have filed a petition to modify my payments and time sharing. My question is this...will the court automatically hold me in contempt and grant that motion? Or will the court set a date for a hearing? Thanks in advance everyone for your help and advice.
well, that escalated quickly!!!!

from February:

I would like to petition the court to be placed on child support payments. I do not get along with the mother of my son but I want to help support him...do I simply just petition the court with propsed child support payments? I know I need to follow the child support guideline and thats fine...I am just not sure how to place myself on support payments.
and if this order was just set, unless something drastic happened in the last couple of months, there will be no reconsideration of the support order.

regarding the contempt issue: you get a chance to defend yourself

justalayman

I do have a cs order. However the order that I received over 2 years ago now has been based off of incorrect information as far as income is concerned.
then what were you doing in February when you said you wanted to initiate a child support order?

single317dad

I want to know why he wanted to file a child support action in February, especially if he wasn't paying one that was already in place.
Probably his idea of how modification works.

OP: How far behind are you (number of payments and dollars owed)?

Why haven't you been paying as ordered? The reason may be what makes or breaks your case to stay out of jail.

Some vary basic reading on FL child support enforcement here:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/childsupport/pdf/cs170.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">