• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just wondering....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

opus05

What is the name of your state? AZ

Okay...I was at a party tonight and this one girl is telling us about what her brother-in-law did to his ex. I've been reading these posts for a few months and hadn't remembered reading anything about it, so I thought I'd ask if this was the "normal" thing for people paying child support to do.
He's from California and has to pay $500.00 a month in cs for one child. What was odd to me was that he's making her show receipts for everything she spends on the child....no reciepts, no money. And if she doesn't spend $500.00 on him, then the guy won't pay her all of the cs.
As far as I could tell, the cs is court ordered and he doesn't include rent/utilities in his calculations.
Just wondering what you all thought.

opus05 said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

Okay...I was at a party tonight and this one girl is telling us about what her brother-in-law did to his ex. I've been reading these posts for a few months and hadn't remembered reading anything about it, so I thought I'd ask if this was the "normal" thing for people paying child support to do.
He's from California and has to pay $500.00 a month in cs for one child. What was odd to me was that he's making her show receipts for everything she spends on the child....no reciepts, no money. And if she doesn't spend $500.00 on him, then the guy won't pay her all of the cs.
As far as I could tell, the cs is court ordered and he doesn't include rent/utilities in his calculations.
Just wondering what you all thought.
He COULD not be paying it if the receipts don't show it, but you know what? His arrears are building because of that so let him continue being stupid and not pay her the total.

ablessin

And the recipent of the CS does not have to provide any receipts for what the $$ is being used for.

Most of the time, I think that sucks..... it works 2 ways - sometimes I think CS is ordered way too high, sometimes it's too low, and if receipts were shown, the payer could be ordered to pay more..... unless the payee is spending outlandishly - I mean shopping at Kaufmann's for shoes and clothing when K Mart and Wal Mart would be sufficient...Kids grow out of clothing SO quickly, it's not worth paying a ton of money for something a toddler is only going to wear 3-5 months.

Use your imagination on the too high scenerio.

Beach-Baby

Child care and medical payments can require receipts to get reimbursement. That may be what he is talking about. That is all that California can limit. C/S is set by state guideline amounts. NO ONE is required to accept lower than state guideline, which is what he thinks is happening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">