• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kid is in his name and the birth certificate dose that void me from legal obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

la2rscout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Almost a year ago I had a relationship with a girl, she claimed to be pregnant with my kid, after we talked about it for some time she and I decided on a abortion. She and I decided to end things and move on are separate ways. She then called me a month later saying it was done. I joined the Army, and am now in active duty. She contacted me a few months ago saying she had the baby, she is with another man and the kids last name is his, and she put it down on the birth certificate as his kid. For a while we talked I tryed to be nice about it. Now she is saying she is going to come after me.

Question: If the kid is in his name and on the birth certificate dose that void me from any legal obligations? Such as if she comes after me, she chose to put him down as the father, so she has to deal with it and I am not responsible whether its mine or not? Or if I am found to be the father then I have to uphold my end?

Proserpina

Almost a year ago I had a relationship with a girl, she claimed to be pregnant with my kid, after we talked about it for some time she and I decided on a abortion. She and I decided to end things and move on are separate ways. She then called me a month later saying it was done. I joined the Army, and am now in active duty. She contacted me a few months ago saying she had the baby, she is with another man and the kids last name is his, and she put it down on the birth certificate as his kid. For a while we talked I tryed to be nice about it. Now she is saying she is going to come after me.

Question: If the kid is in his name and on the birth certificate dose that void me from any legal obligations? Such as if she comes after me, she chose to put him down as the father, so she has to deal with it and I am not responsible whether its mine or not? Or if I am found to be the father then I have to uphold my end?

If the other guy signed paternity papers and is on the birth certificate, he's the legal father and you don't have any obligation to the child.

However, depending on how old the child is she may be able to have those overturned - and then come after you.

If you're established as the father, you'll have the right to file for some sort of custody/visitation and the right to pay child support.

CSO286

It really does depend on several factors.

I'm "ass"uming that he man who is currently this child's legal father signed a Recognition of Parentage.

There exists a timeframe (60 days) during which he can revoke that.

la2rscout

Not sure what the paternity papers intale, I assume that is ever "dads" requirement to sign?

According to the paper I am no one to the kid.

But what you are saying is then. If he is on the paternity papers and birth certificate and has been past 60 days I am legally out of the situation and I should not worry myself with it?

Additional info, he should be like 3 months old or so I think Aug 29th tell now..

He is in his name, they live together.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not sure what the paternity papers intale, I assume that is ever "dads" requirement to sign?

According to the paper I am no one to the kid.

But what you are saying is then. If he is on the paternity papers and birth certificate and has been past 60 days I am legally out of the situation and I should not worry myself with it?

Additional info, he should be like 3 months old or so I think Aug 29th tell now..

He is in his name, they live together.
It is possible for you to be named if the man on the paternity papers finds out that she lied and the child could actually be yours. Or you could man up and try to find out if you have a child. of course that would take you actually being an adult and stepping up so I won't hold my breath on you being that mature.

You got laid and that apparently was all you wanted. Who cares if you have a child, right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It really does depend on several factors.

I'm "ass"uming that he man who is currently this child's legal father signed a Recognition of Parentage.

There exists a timeframe (60 days) during which he can revoke that.
To be clear - that 60 days applies to the time-frame in which it's relatively easy to revoke/cancel the ROP.

However, the courts can vacate the ROP - this can happen for up to a year after the ROP is signed or 6 months after genetic testing shows that the man who signed the ROP is not the father..

Also, down the road, the CHILD has the opportunity to have the ROP vacated - but that discussion doesn't need to happen in this thread ;)

la2rscout

Thanks for the info and reply's

Whether it is my kid or not I cant be sure without a blood test, and if it is mine and if she comes after me I wont fight it, I will man up not a problem. I just wanted to know all the details so I dont mess up in this situation.

She chose to make the baby "his" and wait to tell me it is possible mine after the fact so I dont feel to bad.

Anyway thank you been lots of help. Might have questions at a later date regarding this situation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Whether it is my kid or not I cant be sure without a blood test, and if it is mine and if she comes after me I wont fight it, I will man up not a problem. I just wanted to know all the details so I dont mess up in this situation.

She chose to make the baby "his" and wait to tell me it is possible mine after the fact so I dont feel to bad.

Anyway thank you been lots of help. Might have questions at a later date regarding this situation.
You could man up by petitioning for paternity on your own and requesting a DNA test -- it is a cheek sqab by the way. But heck, if you want to ignore the situation until she comes hunting, then that is on your immature shoulders. Sorry for the child.

Alex1176

Have you seen the BC or the child? There is a possibility that she made it up to harass you.

CSO286

Why not "Man up" now and be proactive in finding out whether or not this child is yours?

NellieBly

It is possible for you to be named if the man on the paternity papers finds out that she lied and the child could actually be yours. Or you could man up and try to find out if you have a child. of course that would take you actually being an adult and stepping up so I won't hold my breath on you being that mature.

You got laid and that apparently was all you wanted. Who cares if you have a child, right?
Give him another 30 years and he might care.

Particularly if that child becomes rich and famous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">