• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids in Foster Care Only I pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaybird32

I have a modification hearing for child support on Aug.11. At the moment I make about $300 per week...My wife is not paying child support for while I was incarcerated she had a kid with someone else...No problem we were thru before that...How come I pay $480 per month and she pays nothing...My kids are with foster parents...After child support takes my $ . I clear about $160-190 every 2 weeks...That's about $80 bucks a week that I clear to live on...Luckily I am staying with family at the moment...How am I expected to live again. Also I found some unclaimed Money from my state of Florida..It is only $635.00 but they are snatching the whole amount for the $12,000 in arrearages that I owe. Even though I am paying support payments currently and yes it is the amount they are asking for, they can take that $ from me? Hopefully my motion will lower my support payments.... Any advice for me.....Thanks Jay in FLA.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I have a modification hearing for child support on Aug.11. At the moment I make about $300 per week...My wife is not paying child support for while I was incarcerated she had a kid with someone else...No problem we were thru before that...How come I pay $480 per month and she pays nothing...My kids are with foster parents...After child support takes my $ . I clear about $160-190 every 2 weeks...That's about $80 bucks a week that I clear to live on...Luckily I am staying with family at the moment...How am I expected to live again. Also I found some unclaimed Money from my state of Florida..It is only $635.00 but they are snatching the whole amount for the $12,000 in arrearages that I owe. Even though I am paying support payments currently and yes it is the amount they are asking for, they can take that $ from me? Hopefully my motion will lower my support payments.... Any advice for me.....Thanks Jay in FLA.
:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

They can pretty much intercept anything and everything.

The State isn't obligated to go after both parents for support; if they think you're the better bet, they'll go after you.

Besides that, did you have a legal question?

Proserpina

Since you added the new information (it's usually best to just make a new post - not a new thread but a new post - if you have something to add :) ), I'll answer about visitation.

But first some questions.

Why are the kids in foster care to begin with? What happened? Why can't you have any contact?

CSO286

They can pretty much intercept anything and everything.

The State isn't obligated to go after both parents for support; if they think you're the better bet, they'll go after you.

Besides that, did you have a legal question?
Generally speaking CSED will obtain orders for support from both parents, based on the cost of foster care and will determine each parent's obligation separate from the other. Based on income guideline information it is likely that each parent will owe support in differing amounts of child support toward the foster care obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">