• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids turning 18,How doI stop Payroll deducted CS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Panthera

What is the name of your state? ARKANSAS

Newbie on this list... HelloAll!

I am current on my CS and the divorce docs read CS to be paid till the age of 18. I have lived in California all of my life, she took them to AR a long time ago... CA let them go! and now it is all over but the lost time & details... I do not want to keep payin' for that woman to buy any more shoes! She owns more shoes than I have ever purchased in my entire life!
Anyone gone down this road? This one should end real soon!

Thanks!

Last edited:

topsidder

Panthera,

The fact no one has answered your post is not surprising!

My husband is going through right now in GA. Briefly, divorce decree dated 1989. He has had two modifications, one in 1991 & 1998. Because the DD is so "old", and did not address school after 18, nor did the two modifications, he was grandfathered in. Even though his daughter is still in high school, his support ends at 18. He called CSE (child suppport enforcement), requested they issue a "stop Order" for payroll deductions. The case worker sent him a letter stating that because she was still in high school she had determined that support should continue and forwarded an order to his employer.

Well, this just did not sit well with my husband. We called an attorney, who provided us a free 1 hour consultation, my husband followed the attorney's advise (call her and point out her error) and then send a letter, detailing the law in GA. that he gave us. Just today he received a letter from the GA CSE stating support will stop being deducted from his pay immediatly.

I would start with the CSE in your state. Call them. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED! Expect them to NOT help you. They just do not help in stopping orders. It's in their damn DNA! However, do not let them push you around. It is easy to bully the easy cases. If you do not like what they say, do etc. contact an attorney for a free 1 hour consultation.

Good Luck

kat1963

Is this your last child turning 18? If so, ask your HR department. Mr. KAT's employer stated they have no problem stopping the c/s deduction once the court order is met (12 months, 9 days from now). :)
KAT

LdiJ

Panthera said:
What is the name of your state? ARKANSAS

Newbie on this list... HelloAll!

I am current on my CS and the divorce docs read CS to be paid till the age of 18. I have lived in California all of my life, she took them to AR a long time ago... CA let them go! and now it is all over but the lost time & details... I do not want to keep payin' for that woman to buy any more shoes! She owns more shoes than I have ever purchased in my entire life!
Anyone gone down this road? This one should end real soon!

Thanks!
You should probably do a little research on the AR state government website. In many states the age for ending child support has changed. The majority of states take it at least until graduation from high school. If there is no "grandfathering" clause for older orders, you may have to pay for time beyond age 18.

I know Florida is 18 or graduation whatever comes last. But you have to get an order to CS enforcement to stop it at the proper time. If not, they keep trying to get money from you.

P

Panthera

Thanks All,

The boys are the exact same age... twins... already graduated from HS... their mother did not push them and therefore are not college oriented...

I did not include that I had been taken back to court recently for arrears that I was behind due to a medical disability and did not have the wherewithall to take care of the paperwork as I was disabled and broke. I paid the mother the court ordered arrearage plus a hefty interestof 8% ...I only made $5K that year and had to pay $6.5K in support plus interest.

Although I have paid her off in full, the OCSE does not remove that from their records... it is still on my credit report as well.

I am done with paying for outrageous attorney fees. I want to know if I can file an OSC (Order to Show Cause) with the court without having to appear?

Anyone know where I can get that info? I am searching the AR State Law site.

Thanks Again... BTW... the mother makes more than I do, California's cost of living is much higher than AR and they kicked the support up as AR is behind in the equality aspect of CS... They do not care how much the Primary earns... just the Non Custodial !!!

Thanks,

P

Panthera

Emancipation is the Key Word

I just found some good websites describing the time of emancipation with the following site like many others listing the details... looks like AR allows emancipation at time of graduation... I better get workin'!!!!

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/educate.htm ;)

topsidder

You go Panthera! Sounds like it's over for momma bear!

If you get "stuck", please try and find $200 - $300 bucks and sit with an attorney for 1.5 - 2.0 hrs and just fire questions at 'em!

Good Luck, and congrats. on the obligation ending! Almost as good as ripping out that last coupon in your mortgage book!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">