• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY child support/custody questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My OPINION (and I know "I" don't count) is that someone living as she does, making the choices she does, and gaming the system as she does SUCKS royally and WE are being punished because SHE refuses to work - something WE have no control over, but have to pay the price for.
Actually, his child and your children are being punished for the choice HE made in having sex with this woman, and the choice YOU made for marrying him. Additionally, the choice that was made not to ask for a CS review when his income increased. Despite everything you've said, he must have known that $100/mo was not reasonable support for him to be paying. Yet he chose to ignore that and go ahead an commit to purchasing a home.

Yeah, she doesn't sound like a stellar individual, but the both of you chose to be stuck with her. So blaming her isn't very productive.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I *would* document his medication expenses and try to have those accounted for somehow. May work, may not. But the house, etc? Not going to count. Sorry.

Ok - I never said I disagree with it going up. I do understand that it will go up. YES he (we) have a financial obligation to this child, we do not argue that. Our argument is that it is going to quadruple and WILL cause us to lose our home. And do they consider extraordinary expenses of the father - such as medical conditions and do they consider what he pays for her portion of the health/dental/vision coverage he carries. In other words (or words I used originally) - what factors, besides income, are considered when adjusting child support? WE DO NOT ARGUE THAT IT WILL & SHOULD GO UP - WE ARE ARGUING THE AMOUNT IT WILL GO UP.

While I understand step-parents are the scum of the earth (at least on this forum), my husbands financial situation effects me and my kids. I was also raised in a manner that family is family - step, adoption, etc. do not figure into it in any way. So forgive me if I use 'we', 'us', 'together', 'ours', etc. too often - it is a force of habit.

My OPINION (and I know "I" don't count) is that someone living as she does, making the choices she does, and gaming the system as she does SUCKS royally and WE are being punished because SHE refuses to work - something WE have no control over, but have to pay the price for. If she were working she would be required to contribute a percentage of her income to the child support, and my husbands support would not be going quite so high (although, to reiterate, again, we know it will go up). However, because she CHOOSES not to work, my husband is 100% financially responsible resulting in higher support. We feel she should be forced to contribute as well.

Thank you for making me feel like pond scum.
I understand your frustration at feeling like you have no voice because you are a step parent. My husband is a step parent. And a darn good one. However, running down the biological mother is NEVER the right thing to do. I pray you dont do this in ear shot of the child.
Furthermore, you were given some good advice, ask that the CP be imputed an income, that will help to bring the numbers in alignment (make them more fair). But with your husband only paying 100.00 a month I would be shocked quite frankly if support is not ordered according to guidelines. If that means it goes up to 400.00, like you keep mentioning, then it is what it is. Is 300.00 a month truly the difference between you loosing your home? You keep saying if CS goes up to 400.00 a month you will loose your house, over 300.00 a month? It thats the case I would work more hours a month to fill those gaps in income, just a thought!

cstenson2003

I understand your frustration at feeling like you have no voice because you are a step parent. My husband is a step parent. And a darn good one. However, running down the biological mother is NEVER the right thing to do. I pray you dont do this in ear shot of the child.
Furthermore, you were given some good advice, ask that the CP be imputed an income, that will help to bring the numbers in alignment (make them more fair). But with your husband only paying 100.00 a month I would be shocked quite frankly if support is not ordered according to guidelines. If that means it goes up to 400.00, like you keep mentioning, then it is what it is. Is 300.00 a month truly the difference between you loosing your home? You keep saying if CS goes up to 400.00 a month you will loose your house, over 300.00 a month? It thats the case I would work more hours a month to fill those gaps in income, just a thought!
Yes, we risk losing our home over $300/mo. The reason why is because 2 years ago I lost my engineering-industry job (the company closed) resulting in $60,000/yr annual loss. We blew through our savings and shaved everything down to the absolute bare minimum to keep our home. We are currently showing a loss every month. Our bank is willing to work with us, ONLY if we do not show any further loss of income/increase in expenses. So, YES, we risk losing our home over $300/mo. And before the judgmental people on this board say it - there are no more jobs in this area, the 2 I have are part-time and as needed status. I take every single available shift, no questions asked, no matter what time of day/night. We simply have been unable to recover and now we are hit with this. I would love to work more hours - they simply are not available - I can't make them up, I cannot force my employers to give me more hours and I cannot force another company to hire me. Period. We were NOT irresponsible in our home purchase. We paid less than 100K for a 1500 sq ft house with a 30 yr fixed interest rate and 20% down.

Why does it feel like nearly everyone on here is attacking me? I have not argued that the support shouldn't go up - it should. With the economy the way it is, we are barely hanging on with our finger nails. Is it REALLY a crime to find out if there can be a TEMPORARY alleviation of the increase in child support until we are in a little bit better financial situation? Given that she is raking it in. Because who does it serve if we lose our home? There are children that reside here too. Do they deserve less so that this child's mom can have more?

And BTW - we absolutely NEVER speak ill of the other parent unless we are 100% certain we cannot be overheard. Not my ex-husband or his daughter's mom. It is our belief that every child deserves the right to form their own-uninfluenced-by-us opinion of both their parents.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Yes, we risk losing our home over $300/mo. The reason why is because 2 years ago I lost my engineering-industry job (the company closed) resulting in $60,000/yr annual loss. We blew through our savings and shaved everything down to the absolute bare minimum to keep our home. We are currently showing a loss every month. Our bank is willing to work with us, ONLY if we do not show any further loss of income/increase in expenses. So, YES, we risk losing our home over $300/mo. And before the judgmental people on this board say it - there are no more jobs in this area, the 2 I have are part-time and as needed status. I take every single available shift, no questions asked, no matter what time of day/night. We simply have been unable to recover and now we are hit with this. I would love to work more hours - they simply are not available - I can't make them up, I cannot force my employers to give me more hours and I cannot force another company to hire me. Period. We were NOT irresponsible in our home purchase. We paid less than 100K for a 1500 sq ft house with a 30 yr fixed interest rate and 20% down.

Why does it feel like nearly everyone on here is attacking me? I have not argued that the support shouldn't go up - it should. With the economy the way it is, we are barely hanging on with our finger nails. Is it REALLY a crime to find out if there can be a TEMPORARY alleviation of the increase in child support until we are in a little bit better financial situation? Given that she is raking it in. Because who does it serve if we lose our home? There are children that reside here too. Do they deserve less so that this child's mom can have more?

And BTW - we absolutely NEVER speak ill of the other parent unless we are 100% certain we cannot be overheard. Not my ex-husband or his daughter's mom. It is our belief that every child deserves the right to form their own-uninfluenced-by-us opinion of both their parents.
What's causing you grief here is the whole "she is raking it in" bit. If your husband says that in court the judge will literally SLAM him.

Your husband could ask for a hardship reduction based on his diabetes. Your husband can ask that she be imputed at least a full time minimum wage income. However, those are about the only things that your husband can work with and have any chance at succeeding.

You are going to have to find a way to cut some more out of your budget. Maybe you need to take out higher student loans to help with living expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">