• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY: How to end Child Support wage assignment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deverill

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
I have been paying child support and am current. My divorce was final in 1997. My son turns 18 in a few months and will have already graduated high school by then. There is nothing in my decree that is different than the language I see in the KRS as far as I can tell but I am a layman. I see in Kentucky that wage assignments are required, which I didn't know when I entered a motion that was granted for the court to attach my wages so there would be no arguments with my ex. I thought it was simply a good idea and just now found out it is required.

My question is how do I stop the attachment? I suspect I will need a court order for my employer to stop taking out of my check (I live in Florida now) but I don't know if there is an agency that handles this kind of thing that I can contact or should I hire a family law attorney in Kentucky to do 'that end' of the process? My other question is how long does it usually take? I want to start early enough they don't take out beyond the required time. For what it's worth I do have his birth certificate which I understand will probably be necessary as well.

Thank you.

mistoffolees

I have been paying child support and am current. My divorce was final in 1997. My son turns 18 in a few months and will have already graduated high school by then. There is nothing in my decree that is different than the language I see in the KRS as far as I can tell but I am a layman. I see in Kentucky that wage assignments are required, which I didn't know when I entered a motion that was granted for the court to attach my wages so there would be no arguments with my ex. I thought it was simply a good idea and just now found out it is required.

My question is how do I stop the attachment? I suspect I will need a court order for my employer to stop taking out of my check (I live in Florida now) but I don't know if there is an agency that handles this kind of thing that I can contact or should I hire a family law attorney in Kentucky to do 'that end' of the process? My other question is how long does it usually take? I want to start early enough they don't take out beyond the required time. For what it's worth I do have his birth certificate which I understand will probably be necessary as well.

Thank you.
The easiest way is to hire an attorney in KY. I would start fairly early - it could take several months to get a hearing. If you call too early, the attorney will tell you.

CSO286

Thank you.
Before you call an attorney, call your child support caseworker. Ask that person if they stop the the withholding, or if you are required to motion the court for it to terminate.

And what is the language of your court order? Does it say something like "support shall continue until child reaches the age of 18 or 20 if still in secondary school, is otherwise emancipated under law or dies....."? Please type that portion word for word without names....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">