• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off/child modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlabamaDad

What is the name of your state? Alabama

After my divorce, I was ordered to pay child support which was garnished out of my check. My child support was paid in full and on time since the order. Last week, however, I was laid off and my income has been cut in half. I am remarried with another child and am unable to continue paying the amount that was ordered until I can find employment. What are my options for getting the child support lowered. I have called everyone and have gotten the run around from them all. Need to do something soon!!

king sol

Understatement!!!!

File a modification of child support at your county courthouse due to change in circumstance. The modification, if ordered, should be retroactive to the date of filing.

Also, there are legal limits to the amount of money that can be garnished from your checks. If the current child support exceeds this limit, talk to payroll (in most cases, c.s. garnishments are 50%).

Act Now, or pay!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">