• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landowner Wedding Someone Owing Back Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krissiest

What is the name of your state? OK
I am soon to be married to a man who owes back child support but pays regularly the required amount plus about $120.00 more on top of that on months that he can. I recently paid off my 5 acres of residential land & am concerned about transferring the title into his & mine name. What is the risk of the government or any government agencies (DHS) placing liens on my land or even seizing my land if his name is on the title? Also do I have to put the land in his name since we will be married? Would it be considered his property even if it's only in my name? I also have to transfer my mobile home title into my name. Could it be seized or what risk is it in? Thanks in advance for any phone numbers or websites I can go to for thorough investigation of this matter.

staceychuck

Check the laws in your state...but I would think that you wouldn't have to put the land in his name because it was property acquired before you were married. If it is put in his name and he owes back owed child support they could possibly put a lien on that said property. Maybe some of the other people on here might know a little more about this topic and are familiar with the laws in your state. Hope that helped.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
krissiest said:
I am soon to be married to a man who owes back child support but pays regularly the required amount plus about $120.00 more on top of that on months that he can. I recently paid off my 5 acres of residential land & am concerned about transferring the title into his & mine name. What is the risk of the government or any government agencies (DHS) placing liens on my land or even seizing my land if his name is on the title?

If his name is on the title then it is not YOUR land. It is your land AND his land. And they can put a lien against his property.

Also do I have to put the land in his name since we will be married?

No. You do not have to put the land in his name.

Would it be considered his property even if it's only in my name?

Depends on what you do with it afterwards and when you mean. In the case of a divorce -- If you build a house on the land using marital funds that could convert it. If you use marital funds to improve it. If you take out a mortgage on the land to buy marital property then it could be considered marital property in the event of a divorce.

I also have to transfer my mobile home title into my name. Could it be seized or what risk is it in? Thanks in advance for any phone numbers or websites I can go to for thorough investigation of this matter.
Whose name is the mobile home in? If it is in his name then it could be siezed because it could be determined to be a fraudulent transfer.

LdiJ

krissiest said:
I am soon to be married to a man who owes back child support but pays regularly the required amount plus about $120.00 more on top of that on months that he can. I recently paid off my 5 acres of residential land & am concerned about transferring the title into his & mine name. What is the risk of the government or any government agencies (DHS) placing liens on my land or even seizing my land if his name is on the title? Also do I have to put the land in his name since we will be married? Would it be considered his property even if it's only in my name? I also have to transfer my mobile home title into my name. Could it be seized or what risk is it in? Thanks in advance for any phone numbers or websites I can go to for thorough investigation of this matter.
There are two reasons why you should NOT add his name to the deed for the land or for your home. 1) To protect it from liens due to child support arrearages and 2) to keep it your sole and separate property in case your marriage doesn't work out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">