• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last minute help ! ! Continuance ? Please !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carter2

What is the name of your state? California

My X is suing me for child support. Filed papers the week I remarried. I take care of our only child(always have) most days as she works long hours with a long commute and I get off at 2:30 everyday. We make the same amount of $ though now with my new wife our houshold income has increased. Don't think that matters. I have agreed to the court "guideline"

The court case is on tuesday and I all ready got the day off to go. My X's boss/lawyer (she works in a law office) is asking for a continuance today because he needs more time.

My X has made my life miserable since we split up(after I caught her cheating on me with her best friends hubby) and I certainly don't want to make things any easier for her or her boss/attorney.

Any way my question is -What if I don't want to sign the continuance(stipulation?) paper she's faxing me and just want to go to court on tuesday ?

Sorry for the sorted details just want to give some perspective...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's going to be up to the judge to decide whether or not to continue the hearing - and you can be pretty sure that he will, if it hasn't been an ongoing tactic.

Carter2 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My X is suing me for child support. Filed papers the week I remarried. I take care of our only child(always have) most days as she works long hours with a long commute and I get off at 2:30 everyday. We make the same amount of $ though now with my new wife our houshold income has increased. Don't think that matters. I have agreed to the court "guideline"

The court case is on tuesday and I all ready got the day off to go. My X's boss/lawyer (she works in a law office) is asking for a continuance today because he needs more time.

My X has made my life miserable since we split up(after I caught her cheating on me with her best friends hubby) and I certainly don't want to make things any easier for her or her boss/attorney.

Any way my question is -What if I don't want to sign the continuance(stipulation?) paper she's faxing me and just want to go to court on tuesday ?

Sorry for the sorted details just want to give some perspective...
In answer to your question if you don't agree out of court for a continuance her attorney will ask the judge for a continuance on Tuesday when you get to court. So that means if you have an attorney and he shows up to court on your behalf on Tuesday and the judge grants the continuance you will have to pay your attorney for showing up, and it could be continued anyway.

Carter2

thank you

Wow that was quick - thanks

I don't have an attorney but have the day off and am ready to go to court and represent myself on tuesday.

I think my X doesnt really want her boss/lawyer to take the time to go to court, it's a ways away so they want to file these papers and try to work things out away from court. Which is probably the thing to do...

I'm still deciding what to do because of the things that have been happening since I remarried, harrassment, vandalism, stolen property, I'm a little bitter. Trying to be civil for my son's sake.

Thanks again - C

stepmom65

Carter2 said:
Wow that was quick - thanks

I don't have an attorney but have the day off and am ready to go to court and represent myself on tuesday.

I think my X doesnt really want her boss/lawyer to take the time to go to court, it's a ways away so they want to file these papers and try to work things out away from court. Which is probably the thing to do...

I'm still deciding what to do because of the things that have been happening since I remarried, harrassment, vandalism, stolen property, I'm a little bitter. Trying to be civil for my son's sake.

Thanks again - C
Keep up the good fight....From someone who is married to someone who pays child support, here is some advice. Do not comingle any accounts, homes, finances together, keep all checking accounts, etc. separate. Although, legally the X can't get more $$ based on your wife's income, she may be able to get more $$ from assets....you share together.

Second piece of advice....get an attorney, no matter what it costs, they will know how to protect you better than you do....My husband's attorney is on retainer permanently. She's the best money he's spent during his divorce and current child support issues.

Good Luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">