• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer cost estimate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad4457

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA - or anywhere in the USA - it doesn't really matter for this general question.

Would anyone like to take a guesstimate on what a lawyer would charge to read over and digest about 1000 pages of tax returns, bank statements, corporate documents, and other type of financial statements for a support case?

I was thinking maybe 10 bucks a page... but I have no idea, just wondering if anyone could take a legal forum educated guess.

Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA - or anywhere in the USA - it doesn't really matter for this general question.

Would anyone like to take a guesstimate on what a lawyer would charge to read over and digest about 1000 pages of tax returns, bank statements, corporate documents, and other type of financial statements for a support case?

I was thinking maybe 10 bucks a page... but I have no idea, just wondering if anyone could take a legal forum educated guess.

Thanks

That's impossible to answer. Different states, different rules, different situations...yes, it does matter. It also (obviously) depends on the agreement/contract.

quincy

Thanks
There is no way to guess. Attorney fees vary widely from state to state and in-state. I suggest you call attorneys in your area and ask what they would charge but, if you are thinking of hiring someone, you would be smart not to base your decision on cost alone.

dad4457

That's impossible to answer. Different states, different rules, different situations...yes, it does matter. It also (obviously) depends on the agreement/contract.
I meant the state didnt matter that much. I just dont know if its $10 a page or $100 a page. I'm just trying to get some idea.

Proserpina

I meant the state didnt matter that much. I just dont know if its $10 a page or $100 a page. I'm just trying to get some idea.

It really does depend on the billing procedure and the contract itself.

As an example, a med-mal attorney will usually take the case on a contingency basis. But in family law, the attorney simply is not allowed to take the case on a contingency basis. Then we have an attorney in Los Angeles or New York and they will generally demand a markedly higher rate compared to say... Fargo.

Some attorneys bill according to time spent. Others will agree to a fixed lump sum payment.

See what I mean?

Thanks
The question isn't really, how much would an attorney charge, because, the attorney in all likelihood would not be the right / best one to do the initial review. Rather, the documents you describe should probably be culled for data by a combination of paralegals, accountancy staff and law clerks. Of course, it would all be done on the attorney's instructions so that they know what they should be looking for and how to best prepare the data. For example, you can probably find a bookkeeper (or your attorney or cpa will have one or a recommendation for one), that can go through all bank statements and enter them into quicken so that useful reports may be generated, and then cheaply reviewed by counsel. The corporate docs - maybe a paralegal, law clerk - it depends on what one is trying to determine from the review.

One last thought, many of these documents (especially the bank statements), should (if of a recent vintage), already be available for import into various types of software, thus allowing useful reports to be generated and analyzed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course it matters. An attorney in NYC or LA is likely to charge more than one in BFE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">