• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal?alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrs.mcadams

i live in north east alabama. my husband is 32 yrs.old and never received child suppor.his mother did go to court his father was held in contempt but took off to florida never to be heard from again.when his grandmother on his fathers side passed a couple years ago he was told by members on that side of the family to try and collect his back support from his fathers half of the grandmothers estate.he took that advice went to court and the judge said he needed to find out if it had been done before..so on the next court date the judge ordered child suppor owed which was $100.00 per month for nine years plus 12%.his mother was informed on this day that she never had the case documented through the court and so she couldn't collect from the estate however the judge told her lawyer to find out if by florida state law where he lives could he be forced to sell his personal belongings,property,etc.to pay this debt if so can they collect this way or does anyone have any helpful advice for my family?

VeronicaGia

You're kidding me right? Your husband is 32 years old, he needs to stop looking for the money train an support himself. If there is any money owed to anyone, it is owed to his mother, but since she never had a court order, I doubt she will be able to collect.

No, he cannot be force to sell anything to pay.

Content

OMG!!! He's 32 and he's still trying to mooch from the bank of mommy and daddy! Wow my parents cut me off when I was a lot younger than that. It's tough luck for him he's an adult and if she never had an enforcable order then mom is also out of luck but the 32 year old mooch is definitely out of luck. Try the lottery instead. :cool:

mrs.mcadams

you people need to pay closer attention to what you read!!!!!!!!

first of all my husband doesn't need to "MOOCH"off of anyone!Me and my family do VERY well.If you would have comprehended what you read you would know that the money is owed to his mother and she does have a court order and he was held in contempt twice.you all sound like a bunch of dead beat dads.My husband and his mother suffered tremendously because of his non payment over the years.So in other words since he got by with not paying for all those years then forget about it?Secondly the reason this whole thing got started is because of the "DEAD BEAT DADS" family telling him and his mother they didn't think it was fair to her or my husband to go through what they did while he lived in the lap of luxury after skipping out on his own family not to mention my husband this man wouldn't even accept a christmas card from his own mother for 20 years and then didn't even have the decency to come to her funeral.So for all of you closed minded inconsiderate people who want to call my husband a mooch and trying to live off mommy and daddy it's kind of hard to swallow comments like that when he hasn't seen his father in 26 years and HE takes care of his mother. He supports her and makes sure she has everything she needs financially and as for looking for a hand out We don't need it, it's the principal of the matter..for any of you who have any!i thought this would be a place to find support instead of ridicule and judgement.Thanks for nothing i'll be withdrawing from this forum immediately and i will be sure to tell everyone i know who has asked me about this forum of my expierience here and will definitely reccomend they seek help and support elsewhere.

Signed,
$125.000a year!!

AHA

This is all bullsh*t.

If hubby is so rich ($125000 not exactly "wow" for many of us!) then why doesn't HE shift some cash to his mommy??
At 32 it's a bit late to go crying for child support for mommy who apparently managed to support herself and her son, up to grown age, without the help from daddy anyway.

LdiJ

AHA said:
This is all bullsh*t.

If hubby is so rich ($125000 not exactly "wow" for many of us!) then why doesn't HE shift some cash to his mommy??
At 32 it's a bit late to go crying for child support for mommy who apparently managed to support herself and her son, up to grown age, without the help from daddy anyway.
If there are recorded arrearages (which appears to be the case)....."mommy" is entitled to receive that money.....it's a valid debt and there is nothing dishonorable in her son wanting to help her collect. I think this thread got a bit out of hand.

lorijos

I agree that this post has got way out of hand. You all sound like a bunch of children!
Why shouldn't the guy be entitled to money his dad should have been providing him while growing up? What is wrong with him going after the money? After all, the money was to support HIM!
Maybe the guy would have had a better childhood had his mother been able to afford more for him! What gives ANYBODY a right not to help, at least financially, raise their child that they have helped create??

tigger22472

lorijos said:
I agree that this post has got way out of hand. You all sound like a bunch of children!
Why shouldn't the guy be entitled to money his dad should have been providing him while growing up? What is wrong with him going after the money? After all, the money was to support HIM!
Maybe the guy would have had a better childhood had his mother been able to afford more for him! What gives ANYBODY a right not to help, at least financially, raise their child that they have helped create??
While I agree this post got out of and I agree parents should support their children, the issue is that technically this money is money that would have belonged to mom.

AHA

LdiJ said:
If there are recorded arrearages (which appears to be the case)....."mommy" is entitled to receive that money.....it's a valid debt and there is nothing dishonorable in her son wanting to help her collect. I think this thread got a bit out of hand.
Well then it's up to the mom and the dad to settle the score, not the son and his wife!!

And I'm not the only one that reacted either, so I think the criticism should be spread to others than just me.
I speak freely just like everyone else and if others are allowed to do that without a slap on the wrist, then the same rules should apply to me.
I'm not less worthy to speak my mind than everyone else here!

AHA

I deleted my first post, so hopefully everyone is happy now and can pat each other on the back for being allowed to speak your mind while others aren't allowed the same.
I guess I'm not in "click". No disappointment though.
Have a good one!

K

katrinagardener

Maybe mom can't speak for herself, and son

is looking out for the best interest of his mother who raised him. Papa owes mom money for raising their son. Money that is perhaps much needed now for mom. If pa had provided in earlier years than none of this would have happened! So, pa owes! Good luck to you and your family!

nextwife

mrs.mcadams said:
.his mother was informed on this day that she never had the case documented through the court and so she couldn't collect from the estate
There is evidentally some question about whether a COURT order for support were established. This is the first problem.

Also, it has been a quarter century and then some. If mom never filed contempt or attempted any legal remedies, it is very likely that the doctrine of Laches could be cited. She likely has waited too long.

BTW - is Dad even still alive? People DO pass in their twenties, thirties, forties, etc. If he is "gone" or has no assets, this whole discussion is merely a mental exercise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">