• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to continue a child support order if you marry the other parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chantell

What is the name of your state?

Oregon - is it legal to continue a child support order if you live with or marry the other parent involved in the order (and the child resides with you)? Don't you have an obligation to report your marriage to the state?

LdiJ

chantell said:
What is the name of your state?

Oregon - is it legal to continue a child support order if you live with or marry the other parent involved in the order (and the child resides with you)? Don't you have an obligation to report your marriage to the state?
The child support order remains in effect until a judge vacates the order. No, you do not have an obligation to "report" your marriage to the state. However the parent paying child support can and should petition to stop the support order if you are living together or married.

nextwife

The child doesn't stop needing support. The CP has the option of stopping the order.

Are you by chance a CP with a subsequent order?

chantell

Yes, I am the mother of our joint child and he has a child support order for our child and the child he had with her. He got the child support order 2 years ago for the other child while he and the mother were living together, and I just found out that they have been married for a year now, but continued the child support order so he could contest my daughter's child support increase (child support is reviewed every 2 years anyway, and I filed for modification just prior to the 2 year mark).

So, for clarification, when he filled out his modification paperwork 2 months ago and stated that he owes child support on the other child and that she lives "with her mother" (his wife) when, in fact, they all live together - he can do that legally?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">