• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The legal definition of until

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucida

If an agreement says you pay child support "until" August does that mean through July 31st or inclusive of August. The dictionary definition states it is "before" or "up to" so it seems it would not include a payment in August. If I said, "I am going to work until 5pm" that would mean up to 4:59 correct?

Antigone*

If an agreement says you pay child support "until" August does that mean through July 31st or inclusive of August. The dictionary definition states it is "before" or "up to" so it seems it would not include a payment in August. If I said, "I am going to work until 5pm" that would mean up to 4:59 correct?
No it means 5:00pm.

lucida

So what about making monthly payments 'until' August. Is there an August payment or is the last payment in July and now you have paid until August?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In NY, child support is paid until the child is 21.
Which answers the question PERFECTLY!

"Until" 21 means that the day they turn 21, CS stops (unless written otherwise in the order)

So, "Until" August means that on 8/1, it stops.

lucida

The legal document reads: "Child Support is payable until August of the year the Child graduates from high school."

This is because the party paying the child support will then assume all costs thereafter for college, room, board, books, etc, etc.

So the question remains; Is there a payment due in August for August child support or is the last payment in July that covers the month of July and the child support is then paid until August?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Given that the child doesn't likely start college until the end of August or beginning of September, the CS likely goes until then. So, I would expect to pay for August.

lucida

Even if the child moves in to the parent's home who pays 100% of the child support and will be paying 100% for college?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Until August" means until the first day of August...Because once the calender ticks over, you're in August, meaning you've completed the "until" part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">