• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal guardian and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaspboul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

My wife and I are legal guardians for the child of an extended family member. My wife and I are separating. Am I obligated to pay child support for this child? His birth parents have not given up their rights.

Thanks!

In general, the guardian does not have to personally fund the ward's financial needs. For example, if the ward is a minor, the minor's parents typically pay for the ward's financial needs. The guardian may receive money or property from the parents and applies the money or funds toward the ward's expenses. In some cases, the guardian may not need to handle the ward's finances at all.

Source:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8523645_legal-guardianship-financial-responsibility.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">