• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Length of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommy569

What is the name of your state? NY

My friends husband pays support for his son from his first marriage. He is convinced that when the child turns 18 his obligation ends. I thought that support continued if the child went to college. He also claims that even if the child is in college, provided the child is working full time that is the end of his obligation. Please help us figure out who is right. My friend or her husband.
Thanks

NotSoNew

mommy569 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My friends husband pays support for his son from his first marriage. He is convinced that when the child turns 18 his obligation ends. I thought that support continued if the child went to college. He also claims that even if the child is in college, provided the child is working full time that is the end of his obligation. Please help us figure out who is right. My friend or her husband.
Thanks
the age is 21 in NY.

Brando7164

Wait...

So which comes first if you live in a state where is says "when child turns 18, or if child is in high school, when child graduates"... is it whichever happens first or they have to graduate first?

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">