• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

letter of forgiveness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tamiam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My husbands wages are garnished, and the only way that the dollar amount will be reduced is if he gets a letter of forgiveness from his ex wife... anyone have any ideas on exactly how to word such a thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AHA

My husbands wages are garnished, and the only way that the dollar amount will be reduced is if he gets a letter of forgiveness from his ex wife... anyone have any ideas on exactly how to word such a thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Why should the amount be reduced??
You are definitely not the person that should be writing any letters regarding a legal issue that is not your business.

WittyUserName

This is the third time you've asked this:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/ca-forgiving-arrearages-184509.html

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/arrearages-536644.html

As you've been told before, any waiver or reduction will require judicial approval. She can't just write a letter and poof, everything's fixed.

As Court Clerk advised on another thread, (does no one use the search function?) Mom can contact CSSD or file her own motion. Be aware that if she was on assistance, however, there's not going to be a way for Mom to do this. The state will want its money from Dad.

Tamiam

We talked to the child support offices and they are the ones who told us to ask her to write the letter. The reason I am asking about this is because I am more computer savvy, and no I am not planning on forging her signature. Give me a break...
The dollar amount should be reduced because we went to court about 6 yrs ago, got the modification, and the courts ordered a $200/mo payment on the arrears, now the child support dept is using the original withholding order which was including both current(at the time) support plus $100 towards the arrears, his children haven't been under 18 for many yrs, the withholding should only be on arrears.
And yes we know the whole thing has to go through the courts.

Isis1

If the courts say mom has the authority to write the letter, then mom will write the letter if she wants to. Looks like she doesn't want to. And you are asking us to help you coheorce her into it? Yeah, no. I don't thinks so.

LdiJ

We talked to the child support offices and they are the ones who told us to ask her to write the letter. The reason I am asking about this is because I am more computer savvy, and no I am not planning on forging her signature. Give me a break...
The dollar amount should be reduced because we went to court about 6 yrs ago, got the modification, and the courts ordered a $200/mo payment on the arrears, now the child support dept is using the original withholding order which was including both current(at the time) support plus $100 towards the arrears, his children haven't been under 18 for many yrs, the withholding should only be on arrears.
Your husband owes a child support debt. It will be repaid much more quickly, with less interest, if the payment is NOT reduced to just 200.00 a month. IMO he should be required to continue to pay the full amount until the arrearage is paid off.

mistoffolees

If there's an error in their accounting, then your husband can talk with them about it. Or he can write them a letter. Or he can hire an attorney to have them fix it.

It doesn't take any great computer-geekdom to be able to pick up the phone and call CSE or post his own message to this forum.

It seems to me that what you're suggesting is just plain wrong - and Mom would be a complete idiot to do it. If there's an error in CSE's calculations, it needs to be fixed. Waiving back support isn't the way to handle it. What happens when she waives back support and THEN he goes back and fixes the error in the system so he has a huge credit - and stops paying? Mom gets screwed by your little game.

Mom is entitled to receive support. If too much is being taken out, Dad has a right to fix it.

YOU have no rights and need to get your nose out of things that don't concern you.

Tamiam

whatever-you guys all think you know everything.. what about the fact that she lied about being on welfare for seven years which is the reason that the numbers are so high.

Isis1

whatever-you guys all think you know everything.. what about the fact that she lied about being on welfare for seven years which is the reason that the numbers are so high.
She is still the one that needs to write the letter. Doesn't matter what she did. If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to. And you trying to write it up for her to itimidate her isn't going to force her to sign it.

AHA

It is not YOUR business!!!! End of story. Close your threads, and let the person with the legal issues handle them himself!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">