• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Levy a joint checking account if in good standing but have arrears?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark-FL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hi, several years ago I fell behind in my support order due to lack of employment. I have been back at work now and did work with the court to get my support order back on track about 3 years ago. I have not missed a payment and have been paying extra to take care of the amount in arrears...only about $3000.

Here I am happily married now and I have always maintained my own checking account. My question is this: If I were to be added to my wife's checking account could her balance be taken to pay back the amount I have left in arrears? As stated above I have an order in place I am in good standing and have been paying successfully since my misstep. I wasn't sure if the state levies bank account for those who are in contempt or simply not paying.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hi, several years ago I fell behind in my support order due to lack of employment. I have been back at work now and did work with the court to get my support order back on track about 3 years ago. I have not missed a payment and have been paying extra to take care of the amount in arrears...only about $3000.

Here I am happily married now and I have always maintained my own checking account. My question is this: If I were to be added to my wife's checking account could her balance be taken to pay back the amount I have left in arrears? As stated above I have an order in place I am in good standing and have been paying successfully since my misstep. I wasn't sure if the state levies bank account for those who are in contempt or simply not paying.
It would be wise to maintain separate finances until your arrears are fully paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">