• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien On Checking Acct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RACJ

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

MY HUSBAND WAS ORDERED TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT OVER 6 YEARS AGO AFTER HIS DAUGHTER TURNED 17 YEARS OF AGE. HIS CHECK IS GARNISHED WEEKLY AND HIS STATE AND FEDERAL TAXES ARE TAKEN. A LIEN WAS PUT ON OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT 6 WEEKS AGO. I FAXED 52 PAGES WORTH OF DOCUMENTATION SUPPORTING THE BULK OF THE DEPOSITS WERE MADE BY ME. THERE WAS OVER $2800.00 IN THE ACCOUNT AT THE TIME AND OVER $1000.00 WORTH OF CHECKS DUE TO HIT AND THEY DID. WE NOW HAVE A HUGE NEGATIVE AND CHECKS HAVE BEEN SENT BACK TO MY CREDITORS AS NSF. THIS IS A DEVASTATING HARDSHIP. WE HAVE 4 CHILDREN OF OUR OWN, A GRAND CHILD AND ANOTHER ON THE WAY. I HAVE BEEN FORCED TO DRAW AGAINST MY IRA TO COVER THE NSF'S. I NEED HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!

LdiJ

RACJ said:

MY HUSBAND WAS ORDERED TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT OVER 6 YEARS AGO AFTER HIS DAUGHTER TURNED 17 YEARS OF AGE. HIS CHECK IS GARNISHED WEEKLY AND HIS STATE AND FEDERAL TAXES ARE TAKEN. A LIEN WAS PUT ON OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT 6 WEEKS AGO. I FAXED 52 PAGES WORTH OF DOCUMENTATION SUPPORTING THE BULK OF THE DEPOSITS WERE MADE BY ME. THERE WAS OVER $2800.00 IN THE ACCOUNT AT THE TIME AND OVER $1000.00 WORTH OF CHECKS DUE TO HIT AND THEY DID. WE NOW HAVE A HUGE NEGATIVE AND CHECKS HAVE BEEN SENT BACK TO MY CREDITORS AS NSF. THIS IS A DEVASTATING HARDSHIP. WE HAVE 4 CHILDREN OF OUR OWN, A GRAND CHILD AND ANOTHER ON THE WAY. I HAVE BEEN FORCED TO DRAW AGAINST MY IRA TO COVER THE NSF'S. I NEED HELP BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND!!!
You have done pretty much all that you can do so far. From now on you simply have to keep your money in a separate checking account.

Gracie3787

RACJ said:

Unfortunately you most likely won't be able to get a refund of your money, sorry. However what you can do is make sure that all of your personal income is kept in a seperate account under your name only. Do NOT put hubby's name on your account, not even on the signature card.

If your hubby is paying the court ordered amount by wage garnishment and his paychecks are direct deposited he can protect his after CS payment income by taking his paycheck out of the account every week. Some people will say this is wrong, however, there is nothing wrong, against the law, or immoral for a NCP to protect his income- as long as he is paying the amount the court ordered.

fairisfair

Your husband was ordered to pay child support over 6YEARS AGO, so obviously, you were aware that he was either far behind, or wasn't paying it. The fact that he went on to create additional children with you leaves me less than sypathetic. Sorry for you, yes, but for him NOT, I mean after all, isn't this the EXACT SAME AMOUNT that custodial mom went without before.???????

nextwife

Personally, I wouldn't mix my assets wiyth my husbands until his kids had totally aged out of CS. If you knew there was an amount owed, you should have opened your OWN checking account for YOUR money, rather than comingling funds.

Last edited:

rzack

fairisfair said:
Your husband was ordered to pay child support over 6YEARS AGO, so obviously, you were aware that he was either far behind, or wasn't paying it. The fact that he went on to create additional children with you leaves me less than sypathetic. Sorry for you, yes, but for him NOT, I mean after all, isn't this the EXACT SAME AMOUNT that custodial mom went without before.???????
Did you mean that he cannot have children with his new wife? My husband has his own children and paying child support, but doesn't mean that he and I doesn't want 'our own' child. That's his child with another woman, and our child or children is/are ours.

Some Random Guy

What you are failing to understand in fairisfair's post is that some people in this world act in a responsible manner. If they are financially unable to support the children they have, they aren't so selfish that they let those children suffer by having other children which they cannot afford.

nextwife

fairisfair said:

Umm, you have NO idea if those children were POST order, or preorder. Additionally, if mom is supporting her children, dad's prior order is not HER problem, or shouldn't be to pay. If a woman has sufficient income to support the kid's she's making, then she should be free to have children, regardless of whether another woman got to have children before her.

The problem her is that HER money for HER children , her FOUR children, was taken for one child. Poster ISN'T asking for hubby's money back, she's asking for her own.

THis kid's mom showed up when the child was 17, so naturally he'd owe more than he can pay off in six years!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">