• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long arm statutes and 26,000.00+ arrerage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtbinva

What is the name of your state?Virginia/Texas

My spouse’s ex-husband is in arrears for over $26,000.00. To further complicate the matter, he is a convicted felon for utterance of bad checks to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. In December there was a payment made to the DCSE of Virginia, two checks, both together totaling $1900.00, both of which bounced.

DCSE has been lackadaisical in the entire matter. There is a long arm statute in VA but would like to know how we can DCSE to act on the matter. My wife’s position is this, if he will not pay, then he should be jailed. Not only does this man shirk his responsibilities, he emotionally abuses the kids, both of which are 13 year old boys.

Custodial parent is a resident citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia, non-custodial parent is a resident citizen of Texas.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

gatorguy3

I am in florida and have sort of the same situation, although the amount of the checks is not that great; it's more of a principle issue and the fact it is fraud.

My ex started writing checks on a joint account following her departure. She filed for and was given Welfare services; the approval was based on the account which she wrote the bad checks. The department of revenue has been after me since to pay back the funds but I had nothing to do with it. I informed them of the fraud but they have done nothing and have seemed as though they do not care.

Government agencys seem less concerned with going after the ones who are accountable for the fraud and more concerned with going after the ones who are not.

mtbinva

I fully agree. I think I ran across an administrative code that says that if the non-custodial parent (NCP) bounces a check, there will be attempt to enforce the NCP to make good on the checks. If after of the attempts fail The Custodial Parent (CP) must payback the amount issued to them.

I haven't had the time to research this thoroughly. This is also a VA statute.

LdiJ

If her ex has been writing bad checks to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars your wife doesn't need to do anything to have him jailed...the state is already going to be going after him criminally and he will be spending a LONG time in prision. You can pretty much forget about being able to collect from him.

mtbinva

LdiJ said:
If her ex has been writing bad checks to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars your wife doesn't need to do anything to have him jailed...the state is already going to be going after him criminally and he will be spending a LONG time in prision. You can pretty much forget about being able to collect from him.
Either way, that is good news. He refuses to maintain steady employment; I believe the term is under employment. So jail is the only real option. The monies would be great to recuperate, but she certainly does not expect to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">