• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjc444

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Unfort. I Have a bit of a problem and after surfing the web I found this site.

I will try to make this as short as possible. I had a son with my ex (not wife) during the end of our 8 year relationship. I tried to end it as nice as possible, I put 20k down on a house for them so my son would not have to live in an apartment and I have paid child support on time every month since the split up. About a year ago, my company temporarely relocated me overseas for a period of 1.5 years. Since being overseas for a year now I have paid by wire child support on time every single month (usually a week early), and I have visited my son for a total of 5 weeks since the move.

Anyway I am scheduled to go back home on 12/23 so I can spend two weeks with my son during xmas, but about a month ago my mother called me stating an officer came by her house to arrest me. Come to find out my ex went to court stating I haven't paid child support in over 3 months so I thought ok, guess she is still the same as always (8 years of being lied to, cheated on, and being physically beat by her), but I didn't worry and I sent my mom by fedex copies of all the support receipts. It took my mom a couple of weeks to see the judge, and when she finally did, he wouldn't even look at the receipts stating I failed to appear (wasn't ever notified) before him so I must appear much to my anger and suprise.

My questions are:
1) If I fly back in on the 23rd am I going to be arrested at the airport?
2) When I do get there if not arrested at the airport I am going to turn myself in immediately, how long should it take for this to be done with seeing as I have the receipts showing payment into her account?
3) Are they going to set up a court day months later like traffic tickets or should I be able to see the judge right away to get this taken care of
4) What can I do to assure she doesn't do this again, will the judge do anything to her for telling such a blatant lie and causing so much problems?

Thanks in advace for any advise..

Gracie3787

cjc444 said:

I will try to make this as short as possible. I had a son with my ex (not wife) during the end of our 8 year relationship. I tried to end it as nice as possible, I put 20k down on a house for them so my son would not have to live in an apartment and I have paid child support on time every month since the split up. About a year ago, my company temporarely relocated me overseas for a period of 1.5 years. Since being overseas for a year now I have paid by wire child support on time every single month (usually a week early), and I have visited my son for a total of 5 weeks since the move.

Anyway I am scheduled to go back home on 12/23 so I can spend two weeks with my son during xmas, but about a month ago my mother called me stating an officer came by her house to arrest me. Come to find out my ex went to court stating I haven't paid child support in over 3 months so I thought ok, guess she is still the same as always (8 years of being lied to, cheated on, and being physically beat by her), but I didn't worry and I sent my mom by fedex copies of all the support receipts. It took my mom a couple of weeks to see the judge, and when she finally did, he wouldn't even look at the receipts stating I failed to appear (wasn't ever notified) before him so I must appear much to my anger and suprise.

My questions are:
2) When I do get there if not arrested at the airport I am going to turn myself in immediately, how long should it take for this to be done with seeing as I have the receipts showing payment into her account?
3) Are they going to set up a court day months later like traffic tickets or should I be able to see the judge right away to get this taken care of
4) What can I do to assure she doesn't do this again, will the judge do anything to her for telling such a blatant lie and causing so much problems?

Is a court date already set for you to appear? If it has then you probably won't be arrested before the court date.

Even if there isn't any hearing set and the warrant is still out, the only way you would be arrested at the airport is if the ex informs the police of your flight #, gate #, and arrival time. And even then, it is doubtful that the police would be there for a CS warrant.

Contact the court or CS enforcement office ASAP after you get back, explain your situation and have the reciepts with you. Hopefully, it won't take very long to get it cleared up.

They ONLY way to keep her from lieing about payments again is to set up to pay thru the court clerk/disbursement system.

Unfortunately it is very very doubtful that a judge will do anything to her for lieing about the payments.

Good luck.

Phnx02

It disgusts me so much when men like you are so good and honest....you do the right thing - and more - you bought her a house for God's sake, and then the woman pulls this crap on you??!?!? I am a woman and I say talk to an attorney ASAP - have your mother help with this if you can - before you get back - and don't let this woman take you down! You sound like a good person.....I hope you can get this straightened out! Good luck!

LdiJ

cjc444 said:

My questions are:

Well, I do disagree with some of the advice that you have recieved. I think that you ARE at risk of beng arrested. If your ex would lie enough that a warrant has been issued then the lie has gone pretty far.

Instead of sending your mom to the hearing you should have sent an attorney. Things probably would have gone very differently. GET ONE NOW and have the attorney get in touch with the courts immediately.

Your biggest risk is that if you are arrested they may take your passport and you won't be able to go back to finish out your overseas time. You definitely need to be consulting with an attorney before you get on that plane.

haiku

I agree with LDiJ, this is not something you should be dealing with on your own. first thing tommorow, get a lawyer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">