• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost in Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andyb32166

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas I need to know if my ex can change our child's name without my permission? We were never married and I'm not sure how common law marriage works. She has our two year old and I am afraid that she will change the baby's name and, maybe, move away from the town we live in. I have many more questions, but I will wait for some kind of answer to this one first.

rmet4nzkx

You had a common law or whatin Texas is called an "Informal Marriage", did you get a divorce and go to court for paternity/child support/ custody/ visitation orders? If so, what do the orders say? What name is on the Birth Certificate?

andyb32166

RE: rmet4nzkx

Texas- The last name on the birth certificate is the same as mine. I get visitation, for now, but I'm afraid that will change. We have not gone to court for anything; we have only made a mutual agreement. I believe that she could change the "terms" of our agreement at any time and I want to know some basic legal advice on what my rights are in this matter. I WILL NOT allow her to change the baby's last name, nor will I stand for her leaving town to live too far away taking the baby with her. I would be willing to pay child support, as long as she will be fair in my visitation rights. Another thing is that the car that we bought before the baby was born is still in her possession, while I continue to pay for it. Could that also be considered as any form of payment in my case? Shouldn't it?
PS- Do I have any rights at all? (Common law or otherwise.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">